Perth & the West Coast


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Perth City
January 27th 2007
Published: February 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Landed in Perth and was met at the airport by my aunt and uncle (Di & Pete). Was so cool to see them as I have not seen either for years, esp Di who I think I last saw about 10 years ago. Whilst driving home I was able to describe their house from memory when I was 9, quite impressed as pretty much got it spot on. Once back, my cousins (Graham & Dick) came round and we all went out for food. Half way through the meal I asked if I was talking loudly as my ears were all messed up from the flight. They all looked at me slight bemused and said they just assumed I always shouted when I talked, quite funny!! Whilst out, Graham's girlfriend, Lenny arrived and it was nice to meet her as I'd heard so much about her (loud, opinionated and a little scary even). I liked her straight away!
The next day Bekka arrived in Perth and I drove my aunts car to the airport. Was rather scared as hadn't driven for a while and had to read a map, but I managed and returned home only getting lost for about half hour. The next day we took the train into Perth and met up with Cath & Simon, two of my friends from Uni who are also travelling. It was lovely to see them and we shared travel stories over lunch at the Lucky Shag bar. In the afternoon we spent a good hour at the Tourist Info centre harassing a young girl to get us the cheapest car rental possible. In the evening we went out with my cousins and met a few of Grahams friends, including the famous Tappy (named by my sis when she was last over here as he spent the whole time tapping her whilst talking to try and get her attention). Although he has grown out of this habit, the name still stuck. We went to a few bars and ended up in a club named Black Betties - say no more really!!! Was really cool to be out with my cousins though, as they are both such fab guys and always much fun.
On a bit of a hangover we collected our lovely car the next day and named her Thelma. We then took her to the beach and began important work on the tan. On the way home we stopped off at a huge shopping complex for a few bits but on returning to the car park, we discovered we had completely lost Thelma. After both walking around for a good 15 mins, initially laughing a great deal but quite quickly starting to panic, we were both nearly in tears convinced our new car had been stolen within 6 hours of us collecting her. Just as I was about to call my uncle in real distressed, I walked past one more row of cars and found her. Big relief and a great deal more laughing - we are so stupid!!
After a very intense day of ray catching, the following eve we all (girlfriends included, I met Lara, Dick's girlfriend for the first time, very sweet girl) went to a restaurant in town called Miss Mauds. Now I remember this restaurant quite well from when I was 9, a eat as much as you want buffet with the most amazing food and even more amazing puddings. Bekka and me prepared all day by eating very little and wearing loss fitting clothes. Much food was consumed and we even took to lunging by the buffet table to try and make a bit more room. The Ozzies didn't seem to understand this important exercise move and we got some very strange looked, we thought it was extremely funny and embarrassed my family a fair amount by just laughing louder and doing a few more. Left feeling very full and very happy.
A few days and a successful shopping trip and a deeper sun tan later, we were preparing for Jo's arrival. We went to this really funky, 80's style cinema early in the evening and watched Borat. It was soooo offensive but also extremely funny, will be quoted for a while yet. Managed once again to navigate our way to the airport where we collected Jo, but unfortunately, minus her backpack that had not made it to Perth. The next day we returned to collect it and found that the stupid Virgin Blue lady had attached the label to a strap which had then been zipped away, so poor rucky-sack had no idea where it was going. But it finally made its way back to Joey, so all was good.
Due to the amount of food being consumed and the weight starting to pile on the old tummy, I have resigned myself to sheepishly following Bekka to the gym (as well as attempting to do a daily sit up routine). Since Jo rocked up in Perth, me and Bekka had been going on about how yummy Miss Mauds had been and Jo insisted that we must go again, and soon!! So after some debate (me trying to be sensible and say no, but failed), Jo persuaded us to return to Miss Mauds for the second time that week. In turn, we then got both Dick and Graham to agree to come also. Once again, the day was spent eating very little and doing a vigorous gym session, all in prep for the evening activity of eat all you possibly can. That evening I took it a little to far and ate so much I actually felt very sick, but was good fun all the same.
The next day we set off in Thelma for our road trip down south. First stop was Bunbury. Being the organised ones we are, we had phoned ahead and managed to book ourselves on to the 'Swim on the Wild side' tour at 8am the next morning. Once fully suited and booted in our wetsuits and flips, we walked down to the shore and stop knee deep in the water as two dolphins swam around right in front of us. It was sooooo cool!!! We then boarded the boat and were taken out to the popular dolphin areas. The guide told us that in order for the dolphins to come over and swim near us we need to make ourselves seem interesting and entertaining. Therefore once in the water, we were all singing away and making, what we considered, to be very interesting and entertaining noises. However, twice we got in the water near a pod but they obviously found there own far more interesting than us, as they only came within 50 metres of us. But once back on the boat, a pod of about 9 dolphins swan right up close, playing and then mating. It was amazing watching them swim so close and witnessing the large males trying to literally throw themselves at the female was very entertaining. It was a bit of a shame we did not swim with them but watching from the boat so close was absolutely fantastic. In the afternoon we sun backed and then popped into visit some of Pete and Di's friends who I met when I was last here.
Early start the next morning we drove down to meet Dick and Graham as they had hired a holiday cottage for the weekend in Dunsborough. We went to a beautiful beach and splashed round in the water and played games provided by Grahams primary school teacher friend, Chris. It was extremely hot though, so after a few hours we were all melting. In the afternoon we went to visit Ngilgi Cave which were very impressive and the limestone formations were pretty amazing. Our final stop was Simmo's icecream factory where we all gorged on icecream Sundays. After, we got back on the road and drove the short distance to Margaret River.
The next day we headed back up towards Dunsborough to meet everyone on Smith Beach. I once again attempted body boarding, though very nearly drowned after getting pulled under by a massive wave. Think that will be my last body boarding experience!! We then all headed back down towards Margaret River for wine, cheese and chocolate tasting. Very enjoyable, esp the choc tasting where we help ourselves to handfuls of mini buttons out of huge bowls.
Our next stop on the coast was Walpole. We left early the next morning (after one more stop off at the choc factory) and arrived later in the afternoon to this deserted backpackers in this small town. In the morning, we headed down to the jetty for one of the most popular tourist attractions - the Wildlife Eco Cruise. A very knowledgeable, though rather crazy local named Gary had been running this tour of years, with his father and grandfather before him. As the boat cruised towards the ocean, he told lengthy (and sometimes questionable) stories about the area and how the eco system has shaped it over many years. It was very interesting and he very entertaining. We then moored up and walked for 10 minutes over a sand dune to an amazing beach. The view was beautiful and reminded us very much of the Whitsundays. On returning to the boat, we had a quick swim in the clear blue water over to a sand mound just covered by water. In the afternoon we drove on to the Forest of Giants to do the well-known Tree Top Walk. A walk way had been constructed allowing us to walk up as high as the treetops, at one point being 40 metres off the ground. It was soooooo cool being as high as the trees, though the walk ways swayed making me feel quite pissed - was much fun!! We then took a walk (on ground level) and admired the HUGE trees, Jo and Bekka took part in a bit of tree hugging. That afternoon we drove on to Albany for the night.
An extremely early start had us on the road by 8.30 (well, that is Very early for us anyway). We swept the coast of Albany, seeing all the local sights including The Gap and Natural Bridge, then ending up at Whaling Cove, a gorgeous white sand beach all to ourselves. That afternoon we took the long long drive back to Perth, almost cooking in the car as the heat rose and rose.
The coast was so so beautiful, much more so than the east, we were really gutted we could not spend longer there, however it was of great importance that we returned as the next day was AUSTRALIA DAY!!! Now this meant nothing to us but we had been told it was a massive celebration, pretty much on par with Christmas. The girls sneaked off to a Rodeo (something we had been told was really good fun and unfortunately the only one they could make was on Oz Day) so I was left to face Graham and his crazy friends alone. I rocked up at his friend Evans house with Lenny and did not know anyone. But after a glass of wine (at 1 in the afternoon, not normally a good idea for me who is rubbish at drinking, esp all day drinking) and a swim in the paddling pool, all was well. Graham's friends were all very nice and welcoming, and it was really cool to meet them all. Evan had two paddling pools on his front lawn and we lazed away drinking and playing games. Every time people walked past, we chanted at them to get in the pool, so regularly people would hop over the wall flinging their wallets, mobiles and ipods behind them as they dive bombed into the water. It was soooo funny and the atmosphere was great. After lots more wine, a bbq and various games, we walked down to the river and watched the firework
A Bunbury dolphinA Bunbury dolphinA Bunbury dolphin

My pics were pretty crap but there was a photographer on the boat also who was taking loads of pics which we will all get a copy of, so you will have to wait for them (ma & Pa, they are coming your way)
display. By 10.30 the headache was kicking in and although Graham had promised me there would be rioting after the fireworks, it was all quite boringly well behaved. I thoroughly enjoyed my first Oz Day and am determined to return for another at some point.
The next day consisted of a hangover, dip in an outdoor pool and yummy Thai food - it was great!! Feeling a bit more active the next day, we dragged ourselves out of bed and went to do a bit of bird watching with my uncle. Pete being a very avid bird watcher enjoyed showing us the various Ozzie birds and it was actually quite interesting (to an extent!!). In the afternoon we went to a pub called The Cott which is a very popular Sunday afternoon activity for the young, hip ones of Perth. People generally stand around checking each other out and convincing themselves they are cooler than everyone else. I just got quite drunk, abused the hotdog man and had a good dance with some of my cousin’s friends.
Our last adventure on the West was a trip over to Rottnest Island. A beautiful little island just off the coast of Perth. We went with an old friend of my cousins, Paul who happened to be on holiday and after meeting us at The Cott decided to tag along. We hired bikes and cycles to Salmon Bay were we sun backed on the white sand and snorkelled in clear blue water. The scenery was absolutely amazing, one of the most beautiful sights I have seen since being in Oz. We had a little hick up when we stupidly realised we had forgot to being enough water and after cycling a long way to find some, were told there wasn't any near, so would have to go all the way back to town (far longer away than we were ever going to manage). Luckily a Ranger drove past who allowed us to throw our bikes in the back and gave us a lift back - that could have been quite nasty!! Jo had been diving in the morning, so we returned to the Bay (with plenty of water) to meet her. However, she had set off with no idea where she was going and spent a good hour cycling up and down hills looking for us. Poor girl was shattered by the time she finally found us, at a point she had past several times within the last hour!!! That evening we had an amazing meal and watched the Quokkas (crazy little kangaroo-like creatures) scuttle around in the dark. The next day, with rather sore bums, we cycled to a beach much nearer the town and did a bit more sunbathing and snorkelling. Returned in the afternoon and gorged on more Thai food with Pete and Di.
Our last day in Perth was spent wandering around Kings Park which gave amazing views over the city and was just a really peaceful place to be. In the evening we all went to Graham's for take away and goodbyes. It was sad as I won't see them again for years, but I think seeing each other so rarely makes it even better when we do. All three of us have really really enjoyed our time here and its has gone so fast. Staying with my family has been great and I think they have enjoyed having us around, esp my aunt who has had to suffer with boys for the last 25 years, poor thing!
Tomorrow we jet back to Melbourne where me and Bekka
Laurence WineryLaurence WineryLaurence Winery

The most beautiful winery in Margaret River (well according to us anyway)
will spend a hurried week taking in all the sights of Philip Island and the Great Ocean before moving on to our next country a week later.
Huge apologies for this being SSOOOO bloodly long and a little dull, am sure most of you just skim read it anyway, fair anough though.
Next exciting installment will be all about NZ!!!!......



Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 32


Advertisement



1st February 2007

Not boring at all Bec, definitely the most interestng entry yet ;-) I'll miss you all very much. Make sure you come back!!!!! love and hugs Di.
1st February 2007

so many memories!
wow! bex so many memories! are you in south perth watchign the fireworks on oz day? that was such a good laugh that day i rememeber! missing you like tonnes!!! did you enjoy rottnest and the quokkkas? so jealous. want to be back there now with you!! cathy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2nd February 2007

Liar!
I'd hardly say I am loud, opinionated or scarey... Cheers Bec.. Whats Gran going to think of me now?

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb