Crashing With Damo


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » High Wycombe
March 28th 2007
Published: March 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hmmm...Hmmm...Hmmm...

Was there something Damo wasn't telling us?
After about a week of living in hostels Zoe and i were to move down to Freemantle and then spend a week on Rottnest Island, or so the plan was anyway. We moved out of our hostel and jumped on the train to "Freeo", only to arrive and discover there was nowhere to stay. Even if we were to travel to Rottnest there and then, there wasn't even a camping pitch for us. short of getting a hotel for much much more than we could afford we were out of options. We later found out that it was the Scarbrough lifesaving championships and there was a big V8 car race on on the same weekend so every man, woman, child and their dog had decended upon perth and freemantle.

Thankfully we had made contact with Damo the previous week, so with a quick phone call to explain our homelessness we had a place to crash for a few days. Thanks Damo and Mark.

As we were in "Freeo" we figured we may as well have a look arround. Taking a wander arround the Freemantle markets discovering new and exotic things and such a variety of nuts, peanuts, cashew
Dusk in PerthDusk in PerthDusk in Perth

Taken from our favorite kings park.
nuts, macadania (something like that) and so many different flavors... Yum Yum. I made myself feel quite sick eating so many but they were good...

Fremantle prison was really interesting, it had a really erry feel. The tour guide (from Portchester of all places!!) had a real passion for the place telling the horror storys and explaining the way the prison was carved out of the hill using the convicts as a cheap labour force. Looking arround the prison there was loads of art work on the walls of cells and the exercise yard, gives you a depressing feel and makes you appreciate your own freedom. I think the worst part was the solitary confinement where the cells were only 8ft by 4ft with only one little window for daylight, and apparently one innmate spent 2 years in solitary.... Think any more than a couple of days would send me over the edge.

After the prison we jumped back on the train to head back the way we had just come from and out to Midland, fortunatly because traveling arround Perth is done in Zones we had come 2 zones to Freeo and needed to go 2 zones
CrockCrockCrock

He/she was fkn uge!!
to Midland so it was a nice cheap ride costing the same to go to Midland as it would to go to Perth. Arriving at Midland I phoned for Damo to come pick us up we pilled all our stuff and us into Damos not very large car and were off to Damos to Stay for a few days or so while we were looking for a car.

It was great settling in with the boys, all the good things boys have xbox 360, 42" plasma tv. ahh.. almost like being home again. Zoe has even been getting into xbox. She is now the Dead or Alive Champion defeating all the boys at their own game. You should have seen the grin on her face as she defeated us all one by one, time after time, we just couldn't believe our luck beaten by a girl. so that was enough of that game!

So after enjoying a relaxing evening the night before, we woke feeling refreshed. Damo and his friend Krista were discusing about how great the perth zoo was. so it was decided that would be great place to visit. We were not disapointed. the whole place
Freemantle PrisonFreemantle PrisonFreemantle Prison

beautiful art work done by an innmate
was amazing. even from an animal point of view. i think the best bit was the crocodile. which was absolutly huge, i,d say it twice the size of me. We thought it was a model, untill it closed it's jaw and started to move. i wouldn't want to get in death roll with it, i can tell ya. i think it was even sizing us all up through the glass. We also loved the otters as they were all out playing and having fun. although the whole place was really cool and we really didn't want leave at closing time.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The EndThe End
The End

The end of the road for a few innmates
sushisushi
sushi

me eating sushi... yummy...
Towel fightTowel fight
Towel fight

Mark and Damo having a towel fight


16th April 2007

sup
-nice to hear from you fella! Lol you got beaten by a girl..and at a beat-em up, you should be truly ashamed. Take care chap..peace
19th April 2007

From Mum & Dad
Hi Richie It's good to see that you are safe and well and you seem to be enjoying your selves even if you are having to sleep on the streets. We need to get better access to your blog. There must be another entry showing the 'Truck'. Good luck!

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb