Big Trees


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Pemberton
March 12th 2009
Published: March 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We are now in Big Tree Country and it is a chilly 18 degrees! We left the lovely beaches of Albany yesterday and headed to Green Pools which is yet another pretty beach. It was a bit overcast and trying to rain so it didn't look as nice as it could have done. It was still pretty though and I managed a paddle.

After that we went to the Valley of the giants tree top walk which was great. It was a walkway suspended high in the trees. It was 40m at the highest. I really liked it but some people look terrified. It swayed quite a bit too which was definately putting people off.

When we got to Pemberton we went to our accommodation and took one look at it and thought "we can't stay here!" so headed off in search of something better. We are now in a nice unit on a caravan park which is in town (or should that be village, the population is only 950!) The first place was a series of cottages in the forrest which had the potential to be nice but could have done with a serious overhaul. It was all peeling paint and the like. Anyway, it is all sorted now. After that we headed to the supermarket (we seem to spend a lot of time there!) to stock up for the next few days. After that it was the bottleshop. For a place so small the bottle shop was massive with a very extensive range of beers and wine, needless to say we got some of both!

Today we explored the various parks in the area. We started by visiting the Gloucester Tree which is a Karri tree that is over 60m tall. It has metal pegs driven into it all the way up so that people can climb it! It used to be a fire lookout. I did climb a little way but it was pretty scary and I did not want to fall off - you are not attached to it in any way! Whilst we were there I saw lots of green parrots. They were really tame so I got a good look.

After the Glouster Tree we went to Warren national Park and saw anther lookout tree that was even taller than the first! Did another couple of walks before heading to big brook dam and walking round the lake. I took way to many tree photos and kept saying 'these trees are so tall!"

Off to Margaret River tomorrow for wine tasting, caves and maybe surfing!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Me up the Gloucester TreeMe up the Gloucester Tree
Me up the Gloucester Tree

I did not go much higher than this. This was quite high enough!


Tot: 0.305s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 71; dbt: 0.2643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb