Ningaloo Reef Exmouth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Ningaloo Reef
April 22nd 2011
Published: June 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We pass 4 days in exmouth / ningaloo reef and it was the best long weekend ever ..... such a great experience physicaly, visually and psychologically.

Ningaloo Reef is a fringing coral reef located off the west coast of Australia, approximately 1200 km north of Perth. The reef is 260 km long and is Australia's largest fringing coral reef and the only large reef positioned very close to a landmass.

It is known for its seasonal feeding concentrations of the whale shark, and the conservation debate surrounding its potential tourism development. In 1987 the reef and surrounding waters were designated as the Ningaloo Marine Park.

Although most famed for its whale sharks which feed there during March to June, the reef is also rich in coral and other marine life. During the winter months, the reef is part of the migratory routes for dolphins, dugongs, manta rays and humpback whales. The beaches of the reef are an important breeding ground of the loggerhead, green and hawksbill turtles. They also depend on the reef for nesting and food. The Ningaloo supports an abundance of fish (500 species), corals (300 species), molluscs (600 species) and many other marine invertebrate. The reef is less than half a kilometre offshore in some areas, such as Coral Bay.

In 2006, researchers from the Australian Institute of Marine Science discovered in the marine park’s deeper waters gardens of sponges that are thought to be species completely new to science.




Additional photos below
Photos: 65, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

ningaloo reefningaloo reef
ningaloo reef

butterfly fish


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb