Wave Rock


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Hyden
June 4th 2011
Published: June 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wave Rock is a natural rock formation located east of the small town of Hyden in Western Australia.

It derives its name from the fact that it is shaped like a tall breaking ocean wave.
Wave Rock has cultural significance to Aborigines.

One aspect of Wave Rock rarely shown on photographs is the retaining wall about halfway up the rock. This follows the contours and allows rainwater to be collected in a storage dam. It was constructed in 1951 by the Public Works Department, and such walls are common on many similar rocks in the Wheatbelt.

Wave Rock is composed of granite. The total outcrop covers several hectares and is part of the Hyden Rock erosional remnant. The "wave" part of the rock is about 15 m (50 ft) high and around 110 m (350 ft) long.

It should be pointed out that the 'wave' formation was formed 60 million years ago and the shape of the rock is not caused by a wave phenomenon, rather its rounded wave-like shape was formed by subsurface chemical weathering followed by removal of the soft weathered granite by fluvial erosion, thus the weathering occurred below ground level before it was exposed. The end result is an undercut base, leaving a round overhang.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

around wave rockaround wave rock
around wave rock

the wall stopping the water
around wave rockaround wave rock
around wave rock

rock cracking


23rd November 2011

hyden
hyden is a great place to live btw i live there myself xx have fun and enjoy the contey side for a co[pple of days xx

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb