Ningaloo Reef


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Ningaloo Reef
January 10th 2007
Published: January 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Denham - Exmouth (via Coral Bay)


Coral BayCoral BayCoral Bay

Very Nice!
Next stop was two nights in the amazing coral bay after another mammoth journey. A tiny little settelment right on the Ningaloo Marine Park. For those not in the know the Ningaloo reef is a huge set of reef systems in WA that rivals the great barrier reef in terms of the number of species of coral and fish that you can find there. It only receives a fraction of the numbers of people that the great barrier reef does so you don't have to fight the crowds.

Coral Bay is beautiful with clear waters and soaring temperature, you can paddle out from the shore to the reef as it's only 50 m away. Did lots of snorkeling for the two days we were there and saw loads of different types of fish, including Nemo.

Other than this we just lay in the sun and didn't do a lot. The hostel was ok but the kitchen was full of mice.

After our two day stint in CB we headed north (just 150 k's) to Exmouth, this is a larger town right on the Exmouth gulf on the North West Cape. We stayed in a backpackers that was part
Coral BayCoral BayCoral Bay

Coral Bay, shortly before sunset
of the Pot Shot Hotel so we were allowed to use all their facilities, inc the pool which was required as it was now over 42 degrees, ouch.

We visited the Cape Range National park which borders the northern end of the Ningaloo Marine Park. The Cape Range Park is not much different to the normal terrain it is only there due to the reef, so they can charge you 10 $ to go see it. On the park are an amazing series of bays and snorkeling spots, one in particular called turquoise bay. Here was the best snorkeling we have ever seen we saw sea turtles and zillions of fish.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Turquoise BayTurquoise Bay
Turquoise Bay

You can see the reef (the darker bit) in the distance.
The MilduaThe Mildua
The Mildua

The Mildua ship wreck, at least whats left of it. Lots of boats have sunk on the reef.
LighthouseLighthouse
Lighthouse

Here is the lighthouse at the north west cape The car is ours!
The ViewThe View
The View

Here is the view form the north west cape.
TermitesTermites
Termites

These nests are everywhere


24th January 2007

So, you fund nemo! Glad to hear that you are still keeping your hand in with the mice. I suppose you gave them lots of "advice" about getting rid. great pics again. dad

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.1455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb