Monkey Mia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Monkey Mia
April 23rd 2009
Published: May 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Packed up camp early early, crack a dawn early and headed 28 kms to Monkey Mia, got to the national park and got us a nice , shaddy spot with grass (luxury) to camp on. We also got a family of Layer birds thrown in for free. . . not to be confused with EMOOOOS

We took a stroll through the camping grounds , checking out the whole complex - it's a pretty awesome set up there. With heaps of tours and walks and excursions to par take on. The tourist dollar is guzzled up round the place. You can take a ride on a boat out to a pearl farm, go on a nature walk, hire a canoe for 3 hours and go fishing on the other side, sunset tours, underwater tours, this and that tour , fishing tours , the list goes on. We went for a nature walk, learning the about aborigine plants and animals along the way in that area, also about standing on a double G through your thong can get lodged in your foot for an bit of time, making the walk back to camp a tad tricky. Sandy and I splurged on a 3 hour canoe hire and did some paddling. You'd get pretty bored of if after 15 minutes, but given thats the only other excursion of the day for us, we loved it. Took our rods on advise we'd catch something - we did not. Lots of stingers in the water as well. So no major swimming for Tash even though it was stinky stinky hot !

Balmy afternoon on the paddle back to Monkey mia, really beautfiful back drop and the water was deadly still (photos show otherwise but) That night we drunk copies amounts of cups of tea as we hung round the camp, the price of booze out there was out of this world - like $30 for a six pack. Ah no !

Woke up early to catch the dolpine feed. 7.00am standing in the water for 20 minutes waiting for their fins to show, getting zapped by stingers ! Oh joy. There were several families of dolphins and over the years Monkey mia has been home to the hand feeding grounds for 90 plus dolphines. You can tell a dolphine apart by the tiny, cuts and dents in their fins on their back. Crazy huh. Was well worth the early morning to watch this close up action. The dolphines can get a bit testy waiting for their feeds and hang really close to the lady on the mic telling us all the goss on these large fish !! Was awesome to get as close as we did.

After the dolphine feeding sandy and packed the tent up and hit the road again North , stopping at the Shark Bay Adventure park on the way outta Denham.

photo's coming soon . . .


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb