How we got here


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Monkey Mia
February 12th 2009
Published: February 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Blog travelling start here

JUDI
The day before our holidays begun we were pleased that the final onslaughts of preparations were almost completed. Packing took till 2.00 am and we were shattered when retiring for bed but happy. We went through a check list to make sure we had not forgotten anything. All that was left to do was to sleep, get up early, wash and dress, clean the house, change the bed, label the suitcases and GO..!

I woke up one and half hours early with a chilling thought that I had not turned off the electric fire in my flat in Jerviston on my last visit. I just could not remember. So being distraught had to tell Murdo…aargh…the poor man had wanted a leisurely morning with NO stress. He calmly (bless) suggested I get out of bed immediately and go switch it off. Through the tears and panic I agreed and rushing there I find to my embarrassment that it already had. Then I drove back to the west End promptly only to fine Murdo with his head inside the duvet cover as he flew through the flat running through the final to do list….
However, Murdo put his superman pants on and saved the day …we did leave with our caravan of luggage and arrived an hour and a half late at Murdos work place) where his staff followed us to the airport and took the car back into Glasgow. When we got there we discovered the plane had been delayed an hour and a half…which took off the pressure for Murdo and eased my conscience !!!! But freaked Murdo out as we may now miss our connection to Bangkok as we had to navigate our way from the infamous terminal 5 to terminal 4 (10 min bus journey). We had not had time to say our final goodbyes to the kiddies so decided to do it while we waited. Murdo then went a little red’ as he realised he had left his vital mob in the car that was speeding away from the airport. More panic…but was able to contact the work and bring it back.
To cut this long story short…our flights connected all ok and went smoothly and to plan. However Murdo could not relax totally until he set foot in Sydney!!!! Poor bloke. Most of the flying was through the night so we slept through the majority of it. The last leg from Sydney to Perth was during the day and in business class….which was brill, but I was toooooooo tired to last the pace of that journey and missed some of the view. Murdo did a Morecombe and Wise jump as he went through the gates in Australia as he could now relax and was delighted to just now get on with the holiday.
Because things went smoothly we had time to bring our flight to Perth forward even though it meant I looked at the Back of Murdos head all the way as I sat behind him!!! We got through emigration easily but minus our sweeties…they are soooooo strict…..to my disgust we were all sprayed with insecticide to kill any extra passengers of the insect variety so as not to contaminate the Aussies!! Did not get a choice….odd experience! But we are now squeaky clean!!!

Our hotel was in the centre of town, but we didn’t really notice the traffic and it was called Miss Maud’s Swedish hotel.. mmmm…I had my suspicions of a hotel of that name, but, it turned out to be lovely and quaint. Rooms spacious and clean, it had its own bakery and the reputation of the BEST breakfast in town. It surly lived up to the expectations as we were to experience the next morning.

We had time to freshen up before Lizzie arrived. We had arranged for her to be shuttled to the hotel but I could not wait and so we went back to the airport to meet her. It was a complete surprise to her and we were all very emotional. She looked and felt fantastic. What more can I say …….it just felt brill to see her again 
We had lots to talk about and haven’t stopped chattering since…poor Murdo….however he is rising to the occasion and his ears and nerves seem to be standing up to the challenge!!!
The evening was spent having gentle walk down to Perth’s riverside and stumbling upon a quirky vegetarian ( Which Lizzie now is) Indian restaurant where you just pay whatever you feel the meal was worth and they don’t bat an eyelid to what you give them, it was unlimited trips to fill your plate and was cooked by volunteers. It was very tasty and a lovely night as we watched the sun go down over the river. Everywhere here is spacious and clean and very American-esk

Day 1-begins by an early rise and hearty breakfast as described…we didn’t leave hungry. Murdo went to pick up the car and us girlies went shopping for our picnic and emptied the rooms of our cases. Murdo was gone for ages and we were a little worried…could not contact him to see if all’s well as……he had left his phone packed up. He arrived in style in a 4x4 wagon and we loaded up and set off!!

MURDO
Judi is doing a good job so far with the blog… When I arrived to pick up the car, it wasn’t ready… so had to wait for an hour for it to be “cleaned”. Because we have 4 huge suitcases and more hand luggage than you can shake a stick at, I decided on a 4x4 - it had lots of room in the back for the luggage - it also had an inbuilt Sat-Nav.
So back to the hotel for the loading up ceremony. Must say I enjoyed the walk through Perth - nice and sunny with a little breeze. Walking off the huge breakfast.

Decided after half an hour to stop off and see the Pinnacles - that’s where Billy Connolly ran around naked….. no chance of me doing that - apart from the fact, I would be embarrassed, it was 40 degrees and I would have burnt my bum … so no cavorting naked around sandy pinnacles. Seriously, it was a fantastic place to visit. We took the car round the road route rather than the walking route - it was farrrrr to hot to go walkabout. Got out the car frequently to explore, take photos and generally wonder at the amazingness of it all. We then headed north up the coast road towards Monkey Mia. We stopped at a few inlets, just to see the sand and (for me) enjoy driving the 4x4 off road (well off tar roads but still on sand roads). We then decided it was time to get on our way, but discovered we had not travelled as far as we thought we had - so decided to stop for the night at the next town - we arrived at Jurien Bay after an argument or two with our stroppy Sat-Nav.(What an attitude!!).
It was deserted and had that duelling banjos (Deliverence) feel about it. We drove up and down a couple of times and settled for the only Motel in town. The Bates Motel (actually called the Jurien Bay Motel Hotel with 3.5 stars!! ) It was deserted, creapy and quite dirty. No bedside lights (We got Lizzies as we were not as brave as she was) Her room was the same as ours but she had a bedside light (a lamp with the bulb holder hanging off). But we had an extractor in our bathroom and she didn’t, so I guess we were even in the exclusivity stakes. After we had decanted the luggage from the 4x4 and got it into the room, we went for a walk down to the sea side….. it was a Full Moon and the moon looked huge in the cloudless sky, lit up the whole place. There were not many people around - just a few people fishing off the pier. If there were any dogs around they must have been afraid to come out…. Not a single dog howling at the moon.( I did catch a glimpse of one skulking through the shadows - staying out of the moonlight)
Down a side ally we found a chippy type shop with a sign in the window advertising the shop was for sale!! We ordered some food, which came in take away boxes.. and were invited to “sit here, these are good seats” sat outside at a white plastic garden table with white plastic garden chairs, beside a wheelie bin. After we had flicked away some beasties and turned over some crawling insects for a distraction, we ate.
The food could be called unique, but that’s another story for another day.
We left there after being joined at the next table (there were three tables) by a drunk girl and her beau - straight out of the dukes of hazard. The girl asked Lizzie if they sold booze in the chippie - Lizzie said she didn’t know but would ask - she then went inside and came out with an ice cream for me (Great stuff) but no booze for sale there.
I said to the woman serving us - and cooking. “Its quiet around here” - she replied “ It’s a full moon” and gave me a strange look (Like you are not from these here parts, look). At which point I thought I was in a set for a hammer horror movie. An episode of Twilight perhaps!! But she then added “ it’s the Crayfish, all the men are out fishing on the full moon”. That didn’t impress me much.
We meandered back to the Motel and decided that in the morning we would get up early and have breakfast further up the road. Judi decided to get into bed and start the blog….. eventually we put out the light and went to sleep -at around 4am I awoke and found Judi awake beside me -“What wrong” I asked - “I don’t want to get up to the toilet” Why I asked. “Because, I am afraid I will stand on a carpet of cockroaches and hairy spiders in the dark” she replied. Just as well we had the bedside light. No roaches or spiders that morning, they must have been out Cray fishing to
Morning came and we got out fast - Lizzie was up well before us - to go for a walk on the shore and watch the sun rise, she said. - I bet it was the rustling of the shower curtain that got her out fast!!

So… we headed up the road and tried not to have to many fallouts with miss Sat- Nav. We were getting hungry and Judi was starting to panic at the diminishing level of fuel in the car. So we stopped at a road house for fuel and breakfast … what’s this place like?? Another cowboy movie set. Very old Formica tables, 50’s style radio and quaint food on the menu. Judie ordered cereal and fruit, lizzie, poached eggs and I, ham and eggs. With a tomato juice for judi. We got - lizzie, slimy half cooked perfectly round eggs, judi- cereal, a bowl of tinned peach chunks and I - a chunk of tinned ham and two round fried eggs, raw at top and burnt at bottom. To finish it off Judi had a tomato juice in a half pint beer mug (class).
We topped up and started the rest of our marathon drive to Monkey mia. Some 6-7 hours drive. On the way we saw our very first Australian wildlife - dead Kangaroo at the roadside, followed by a few other species in rigor mortise. We were desperate to spot “live” animals. We eventually did - near our destination - but couldn’t make out just what they were. My theory is, since all the places here are divided into Shires, (the Shire of Dongorra etc.) that they were Hobbits.
We arrived at Monkey Mia tired and happy. The day had been hot outside and although we were kept cool by the Air con - it was still very hot when we got out for toilets etc ( some of the Roadhouse shots have the toilets etc in them) We stopped at Shell beach, close to Monkey Mia and had to get back in the car after 5 minutes - it was seriously hot - the temp gauge in the car said it was 45 degrees - to hot for us mere mortals.
Our accommodation is great - the place looks fantastic and we will give more dialog in the next blog.






Additional photos below
Photos: 83, Displayed: 30


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb