Paddling with Pelicans


Advertisement
Published: March 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The good news was that we never saw a ranger, so that was another free night’s camping!

After a brief look at the local beach, we went to a place called CaveWorks. This area is renowned for its limestone caves, and we took the opportunity to visit Lake Cave, the only live, or wet, cave in the area. This means that water is still seeping through and dripping off of the various straws, shawls, stalactites, etc. and that are growing at one inch every 60 years. Mind you, after I’d walked down the very steep 400 odd steps, I was beginning to regret the visit (I won’t bore you with how long it took me to get back up again!!), but the Cave was stunning, with the lake reflecting the wonderful structures. They are very concerned as it appears to be drying up due to the lack of rain, and they estimate that the lake may have disappeared in less than 10 years. The water eventually seeps back to land at a place called Conto’s Spring - and it is reckoned that the water is pristine because of the amount of time it has been below ground seeping through the limestone.

We also had our first sight of one of the Art Cows that are decorating this area - the same type that were in Milton Keynes a couple of years’ ago - they’ve kept us amused looking out for them, and we’ve attached some of the photos for you (thought you’d like them Nicky!!)

Next stop was Augusta and Cape Leeuwin Peninsula Lighthouse where the Indian Ocean meets the Southern Ocean. The Lighthouse is the biggest in mainland Australia. After tackling the steps at the Caves, I decided climbing the lighthouse was a step too far (pun intended!) John elected to keep me company!! We found the waterwheel that was erected early in the last century to gather clean water from a nearby stream and pump it up to lighthouse really fascinating - especially as the wheel is now virtually turned to stone due to the calcite deposits!

While in Augusta we followed some signs to ‘Pioneers Cemetery’ and ‘Nurses’ Memorial’ ... and found pelicans! It was the prettiest little bay with a crowd of pelicans and gulls patiently standing by some fishermen who were filleting their catch. I couldn’t resist paddling out and getting closer, although I’ve got to say they have the eeriest eyes!! We never did find the Cemetery or Memorial!!

Aha! I saw an emu in a field with some cows - John is not happy that he missed it, but it is so difficult sometimes to turn round and he was sure he’d see another ... no luck so far...

Onward to Margaret River and one of the loveliest towns we’ve been in - also notable for the fact that it had a whole road of shops and there were lots of people!!

On our travels we’ve often seen something that’s made us think of friends and family back home - here we’ve seen Donnelly River, O’Brien Road, Burnett Cove and even Dunnet’s Creek (think you’re up that Mark!!) (it did only have one T), but today was the ultimate ... today we went to Cape Mentelle Winery for wine tasting, raising our glasses to Gwyneth and Richard! I was so excited, I even had to buy a hat - John just bought some wine!!

As we left the vineyard, we saw a fantastic flock of green parrots ... no doubt more details will arrive here from John.

And finally we went off in search of the next campsite, which was along 5km dirt road - by the time we’d rattled up to the site, I thought I’d lost some fillings! Yet another beautiful site - this time complete with swimming lake - and more kangaroos!




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



13th March 2010

Backwards
Hi, decided to start at the last entry so I'm up-to-date on where you are (I shall get to the chunk I've missed in the middle!). Guess what it's sport on the TV again (and the choice is endless, cricket, rugby, F1). It all looks fab (your trip not the TV) and you still have lots to go. Love all the photos and the blog. Take care xx

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb