Margaret River Part 2


Advertisement
Published: March 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

26/3
Day 59

Augusta is a small town on the Blackwood river and this is where we head to this morning. Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse is just out of the town and sits where the Southern Ocean and Indian Ocean meet at the most south westerly point of Australia. The lighthouse was built out of local limestone and opened in 1896, although part of it was made and shipped from Birmingham.

We had our picnic sat on the shores of the Blackwood river while dolphins swam past. A scenic drive through the forest took us north to Hamlin Bay. Unfortunately this beautiful beach was closed due to shark sightings. The other day over 70 whales beached themselves here, 11 were rescued and returned to the sea south of Augusta only for a few of them to return back to this beach.

Before going back to the cottage we went to Prevelly beach which is well known by the surfing community. It was a bit late in the day for snorkelling so we went back to the cottage. After dinner we went on another kangaroo hunt and saw a family of kangaroos sneak under the fence to hide in the bushland area. They are fascinating creatures and interesting to watch.

27/3
Day 60

We got up this morning only to find kangaroos in the garden right outside the cottage, Oliver got carried away with taking photographs and chased them away. Another visit to Prevelly beach this morning for snorkelling proved to be interesting as it was heaving with surfers. A surfing competition starts at the weekend so there were many surfers practising and others getting a last surf in before the crowds arrive.

High tide was in a couple of hours so the waves were too big for safe snorkelling. Don't think we are meant to go snorkelling, maybe we are destined to wait for the Great Barrier Reef. We stayed a while watching the surfers in the lovely morning sunshine. After a coffee in Margaret River we set off back on the 3 hour journey to Perth. Today was the hottest day so far so we chilled out in the pool before dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb