Whale Watching, Augusta


Advertisement
Published: August 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Humpback Whales


The 3 hour outting cost $50 and we went, wondering if we'd get out money's worth...
Luckily we arrived in Augusta as the whales were migrating down the east coast.

After a while on the boat, we saw a group of whales quite far away, so I got snapping!
It was easy to capture the whales because they spray from their waterhole before they surface. But I found it more difficult to get tail shots because there was little warning...

Having watched them for a while, as they made wide circles around the boat - apparently making us part of their group - we moved to another area of ocean.

This time, we saw 2 whales 'flirting' - freely turning over onto their backs - meaning they felt unthreatened. They were joined by some dolphins which was cool. Soon they swam closer to us, which was marvellous. They they came up on their backs from under the boat, which was breath-taking! Unfortunately the pics aren't as great as they could've been - James had a good view but no camera!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The whalesThe whales
The whales

Not sure how many, as they went up and down gracefully and gigantically!
Waving WhaleWaving Whale
Waving Whale

They have barnacles on them and leave a pool of their oil slick on the surface of the water, from their skin.
Close upClose up
Close up

The frolicking couple!
Unthreatened...Unthreatened...
Unthreatened...

Twirling...


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb