Thank God for the rain ?????


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Lancelin
July 24th 2006
Published: July 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

As I left Geraldton the clouds closed in for the first time in months. Then the heavens opened and it started to rain. Listening to the radio on the way down you would have thought it was Christmas. Farmers and the like were literally dancing in the streets as this was the first rain they had seen for years. Probably wasn’t appropriate for me to ask when it was likely to stop!!

When it does finally rain in WA it really knows how to. Coming from the UK I’m used to driving in rain but this was something else. The roads aren’t designed to channel the water away and it’s all you can do to hold onto the car as you aquaplane down the road with visibility not much greater than the end of the bonnet. When a road train comes the other was its like being hit by a tsunami. How the windscreen didn’t cave in under the weight of the water I’ll lever know?

After nine hours of rain it finally stopped just before it got dark. Trying not to waste the whole day I went out for a walk. Still defiying the weather and determined not to have to wear trainers I'm still in my flip flops. They actually serve a good purpose after nine hours of rain. You can just walk through the water without worrying about getting your trainers wet.

The next day was hot and sunny so I spent the day walking the beaches as I don't seem to be able to stay away from the coast for more than a few hours.
The hostel here is really nice with a lovely log fire (you need it at night). Two really great hostels one after another, that means the one in Perth must be crap, there is no way to have three in a row.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb