Lake Argyle to Kununurra WA


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kununurra
August 29th 2009
Published: August 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

27-8-09 Left Timber creek about 9am as going into WA we have to put our clocks back 1.5 hours, so that means we are 2 hours behind the eastern states. The scenery is still amazing me. Lots of mountains & rocky outcrops, land that has been burnt for fire control, which is a good idea. We saw lots of Boab trees on the way to the border as well. We stopped at saddle Creek Rest stop for morning tea, it was a nice spot. The temperature is up to 30 deg & it is only 10am, the dogs & I are feeling the heat. We crossed the WA border & had to go through Quarantine , as you cant take any fruit, vegies, honey, nuts etc . Den thought he was going to loose his bags that he has all the hoses etc in, if they had been wheat bags they would have been gone. The dogs even got inspected. Oh well, all in the name of keeping pests out, we were lucky to get in !!!! On we went & turned off to go to Lake Argyle its about 35 km’s to the Lake, beautiful scenery, the photos don’t do it justice. Got to Lake Argyle Caravan Park $30 a night & settled in for 2 nights & immediately spotted a sign “Sundowners” on the deck between 4.30 & 5.30 pm, as they had a bar we thought it was happy hour. We were right, but you cant call it that in WA, being “politically correct” , some crap about calling it happy hour implies that you might have too many drinks & get too happy !!!! Have you ever heard anything so ridiculous . It was very hot & steamy 39 deg so we decided to go & look at the sights, Argyle Lake is one of the largest lakes in Australia. We went to Water Tank lookout, the Boat Ramp, The Dam wall, The Dam Lookout & the Ord River Picnic Area where we let the girls out for a run. We watched the water flowing out of The Ord River Hydro Power Station & it was very peaceful. We were all feeling the heat so we went back to the van to cool off, we then went down for “Sundowners” & had a few drinks & got talking ( again ) to a couple. We then went back to the van & had tea & went to bed as the time difference was getting to us. I woke up at 1.30 & could not sleep, I think it might take a while to get used to it. We were awake at 5.30am. We did 220 km’s today. A bit of useless info , we travelled 8650 km in NT , & total from Wollongong 15,145 km’s ( so Brett & Kara we only have 1631 km’s to go according to the T-shirt you gave Den, Ha, Ha!!!!! )

28-8-09 We got up & organised to fishing & kayaking in Lake Argyle, we had been warned to watch for crocs , so we were very careful. We put the kayak in at the boat ramp at Bamboo Cove & pedalled out, we put our lines in & I caught a small Cat Fish ( or Silver Cobbler as they call them here ) straight away, & threw it back. Then Den caught a big Cat Fish, we kept that one. We kept moving & pedalling & viewing the scenery as it was magic & putting our lines in. In the end Den caught 1 big one & 1 small one & I caught 6 small ones. We had a great day & at least got one good feed out of it. By lunch time it was too hot to stay out so we headed in & put the kayak on the car & had a swim. We went back to camp & by the time we cleaned up & took the girls for a walk , filleted the fish (which was not east, Den had to skin it ) . We both had a rest as it must be 38 deg & then went down again for sundowners & got chatting again with two other couples, it was nice & relaxing. We ordered some chips as we had no vegies from the Quarantine Station & went back & cooked our fish in Beer Batter, yummy, The fish was moist & not too many bones, very satisfying for our first edible catch. We are both tired so early to bed, but that made us wake up early. Off to Kununurra tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



31st August 2009

hiya
Hi , Well well didn't we do well fishing , ok so you beat my tennieee weeenieeeeeee wittle bream that i caught at forster and thought about do the kiss and throw back , but alas pat beat me to it she threw it back in before moi could do that shame reallly haha. and let me tell ya i was just as excited about that tiny thing as u were over your big one haha. Look you have entered another country and it doesnt matter what they call happy hour we all know what it is haha. its like being in mexico you just do what the mexicans do get pissed anyway . And might i add got another bone to pick with you 2 over your bro , now he has me looking at kayaks and my boat and motor is up for sale on ebay , you guys are having way to much fun with that kayak and he never liked my boat he isnt into boats with motors , but now we are totally confused due to fact we are now thinking why stick with double kayak get singles cost around the same and mine can be hooked up for fishing and his doesnt have to be , shit as i said one problem shelly with that well u know me haha i said hell thats not on how am i gunna get out of doing all the work while your not looking and you are doing all the paddling hahaha , smartarse had thought of that to ..... geee they get older and lose their sense of humour sometimes haha. So who gutted and filleted the fish you caught , i expect you to be expert by time you are finished this trip . You will get a lot of fishing in down the west coast , helps when you both love to fish not like a certain bro that will remain nameless haha. i even bought him a new rod , so i got 2 to play with haha. Have you tried annie an jessie in your kayak yet , thou if they jump out could be croc bait hmmmm maybe scrape that idea . keep on staying safe and having a good time From Marg and Warwick

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb