1st July 2012 (Karrinyup (Perth) - Galena Bridge (Murchison River))


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Karrinyup
July 1st 2012
Published: July 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

DAYS ON THE ROAD = 1



Well the day had finally arrived for our family to leave our home town of Perth after well over a year of planning.

We've just enjoyed spending our last week staying with Charles's mum and dad whilst our caravan was in for final warranty and additional works in readiness for our big adventure.

Our last two days in Perth were spent at Karrinyup Waters Resort which was great and gave us time to do the last minute food shopping, jeez how was I going to fit all that food into my caravan. Where there's a will there's a way 😊

We awoke nice and early to prep our car and van and do the last minute checks before hitting the road. We did notice that one of our back tyres that previously had a slow leak and had fixed seemed to be abit low. We made the decision to press on with joining that road up north and would check the pressure again at the first service station.

We left later than we first thought but never the less we were finally on the road, starting our Roam Australia trip.

The weather was certainly
Karrinyup, Western AustraliaKarrinyup, Western AustraliaKarrinyup, Western Australia

Our starting point.
on our side with a 20oC day in Perth and nothing but clear skies ahead, where would this day lead us to. Galena Bridge.

Our girls were really excited and raring to go, I'm sure they were thinking about all the swimming they were going to be doing in warmer weather.

The trip to Galena Bridge went well, our spirits weren't even dampened by a road train driver who decided to overtake us with an oncoming car approaching. Both our car and the oncoming car had to break to avoid an accident only for the truck to cut me off. We weren't happy and tried to contact the driver on the CB Radio to no avail. hmmmm apparently we are going to get these type of drivers on the road.

It's funny actually being the people in the car and caravan going 90kmp and people overtaking you, it's normally me overtaking them. I now have a deeper appreciation of driving with a van on the back. Charles and I were actually happy that there was no traffic in front of us for once.

We arrived at Galena Bridge just as the long shadows were croaching across
Galena BridgeGalena BridgeGalena Bridge

Our view from the caravan.
the road, 4.30pm. WOW! what a fantastic place to stop for the night, camped out under the stars alongside the Murchison River. This was a great start to our trip and our first experience in free camping, hopefully there will be many more.

We joined a lovely couple, Ted and Marg, next to our van who had lit a roaring campfire and enjoyed a glass of red wine or two. This was our girls first campfire and they were searching high and low with their torches for firewood to keep it stoked. Only problem was, I didn't have any marshmallows to go with it. Note to self, buy marshmellows.

What a wonderful first night we had with our family at the end of Day 1.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



5th July 2012
Karrinyup, Western Australia

Murchison River
I swam in the mouth of the Murchison when I went up to Kalbarrie with your mum and dad in 2008 :).......... what a wonderful place WA is!
7th July 2012
Karrinyup, Western Australia

Swimming in the Murchison
Yes certainly love Kalbarri as well, just a lovely part of the world Julie. X

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb