Karijini/Marble Bar


Advertisement
Published: July 14th 2018
Edit Blog Post

After getting a minor repair fixed we headed off for Karijini. Camped at a 24hr rest area the first night refuelled then went East. Made it as far as Cheela Plains. Next day we passed through Parrabadoo. Which is most likely the birthplace of "Red Dog". Then onto Tom Price for lunch and camped just outside of the NP. So we could get an early start on the Gorges. First stop was Oxley Lookout and Weano Gorge. A short trip down to a refreshing pool. Next to this was Hancocks Gorge. A bit more difficult classed as a level 5 track. I managed it ok. It was about 500m down then about another 500m along the gorge to a section where you had to get wet to go further. (almost waist deep) after that was the spider walk through a narrow chasm, which you could of swam if you were brave enough. Water was very chilly. Then a small waterfall and the gorge snakes its way further on. I only went as far as the waterfall. Back to the car for lunch then onto Joffre's Gorge and Waterfall. Ken had left his runners on the trailer to dry out and forgot to get them before we took off. We sent dad to the Lookout while Ken and I made our way down the steep natural steps. I had a swim when we got to the base of the falls. And yes the water was very cold. but refreshing. Free camped in the overflow campsite. Next day I dropped Ken of at the Circular Pool Over 400 steps to the base of the Gorge. While I did some bird photography. He also walked to Fortescue Falls and back, which we were going to take him to next. We still did as I wanted to revisit the falls and Fern Pool. After lunch we made our way around to the top end of Karijini NP. To a place called Wittenoom. We followed the track about 5km up the gorge to a lovely waterhole and camped. The next day of all the places you would not expect to see them the JW's dropped in with the war cry. We were going to stay another day, but the battery was not holding its charge so we left one of the best campspots so far on the trip. After a tour of the deserted township of Wittenoom we headed to Marble Bar. Stopped at the Comet gold mine and the Jasper and chert reef on Comet river. Camped at another 24hr rest area before heading to Port Hedland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb