Kalgoorlie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalgoorlie
December 22nd 2015
Published: June 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -30.7477, 121.472

Hello from Kalgoorlie

Firstly I must thank everyone for their feedback on the blog it is satisfying to know that you are reading it and possibly enjoying it, but some of the feedback makes me think that I should have called it 'The Princess and I'.

The last two days at Yulara produced some spectacular views, firstly a storm over the Rock at sunset on the 30th and then the Helicopter ride over Lake Amadeus, The Olgas and Ayers Rock on the 31st

The lightning storm passed behind the rock creating a continuous light show for about an hour including a rainbow over the rock as the sun set.

Lake Amadeus changes colour dependant on how wet or dry it is, the storm the night before meant we saw it with more patches of darker colours than normal. It was once part of an inland sea and you can see a ridge which was once a coral reef.

The Olgas and the Rock take on a new dimension when you see them from the air, I would highly recommend forking out for the flight when you are there.

We left Yulara and spent a night at Agnes Creek rest area before heading to Coober Pedy.

The Tyre Pressure Monitoring System paid for itself when the alarm went off about 180Km from Coober Pedy. The driver's side rear tyre was slowly loosing pressure, the tubeless valve was leaking when it was moved to one side. Wrapped some tape around it so it couldn't move, re inflated the tyre and made it to Coober Pedy with no further problems, then had the valve replaced.

Drove out to the Breakaways to see the Dog Fence which stretches unbroken for approx. 5300Km across NSW and SA to keep Dingos out of the sheep grazing areas.

Coober Pedy is a quirky town which resembles a series of dumps yards when you first enter it.

Most of the houses are dug outs (80 % of the population live underground) so all you can see is the carport and the piles of rusting machinery as they never throw anything away because it might be needed to make or repair another machine for their mine.

All the mines are private concerns. The big mining companies don't come here as it is too time consuming and delicate to extract the opal for them. One of the Opal Store owners informed us that there are only 10 miners left in town. We visited the Old Timers Mine which is an old hand dug mine from the 1800s and included an old dugout, the old mine was discovered when one of the rooms in the dugout was being expanded. When construction for the entry and shop began they found $50000 worth of Opal in the first posthole they dug. They also found a vein of Opal which has been left for us tourists to see, the miners from the 1800s missed it by about a foot.

Also visited Faye's Underground Historic Home which was hand dug by Faye and a female friend, Faye was instrumental in bringing the first tourists to Coober Pedy. The dugout is basically as it was when she left and is now occupied by caretakers who conduct guided tours. They came to care take for 4 months, liked it and the town so much that they have been there for 11 years.

The town also has Hotels and Churches which are underground.

Coober Pedy Golf Club looked interesting but on the day we intended playing the winds were approx. 45Km Hr so gave it a miss. It blew a gale the whole 3 days we here.

Left Coober Pedy and stopped overnight at Pimba and Drove the 10Km into Woomera and visited the information centre and museum where we learnt about Len Beadell who surveyed numerous tracks from here to Port Headland along the line the rockets were launched.

From Pimba we travelled to Pt Augusta which doesn't have a lot to offer.

Stayed at the ETSA Oval RV Park as the reviews for all the caravan parks were not very good, its $7 a night or $35 for the week but you need to be self-contained so we ended up staying for a week.

It is behind the Football Club and we managed to win a meat tray on the night we went there for a meal. Rode our bikes into town along the historical path. Drove up to Quorn and rode the Pichy Richy Railway. Walked through the Arid Lands Botanical Gardens. Played in the Sunday Comp the course is all grass and was in good condition. Once again it was blowing a gale for our entire stay.

Left Pt Augusta and drove to Streaky Bay were we stayed for 10 days.

Arrived on a Saturday and rode our bikes into town to visit the Tourist Info Centre only to find it is not open on the weekend!

Drove the Cape Bauer Loop Drive visiting Back Beach, Hallys Beach, Whistling Rocks, Blow Holes and Cape Bauer. Spectacular beaches and views from the cliff tops.

Drove to Sceale Bay then Point Labatt which is one of the few mainland breeding colonies for Australian Sea Lions, from the lookout you can see them sunbaking on the rocks below and swimming around. Then we visited Murphys Haystacks which are granite rocks in the middle of nowhere most of them in the shape of an old haystack, then on to Port Kenny and Venus Bay.

Venus Bay is a small town in a sheltered bay with a caravan park next to the beach we will stay here when we come back to this area.

Drove to Yanerbie then the Westall Way Loop Drive visiting the Smooth Pool which had been recommended for a swim, fine if you are a sea lion, the water was freezing. At Point Westall we sat on the cliff top watching a pod of Dolphins and some Sea Lions playing and feeding in the waters below. Stopped at the Granites for lunch and some fishing, caught a couple of small Silver Trevally and then a nice Whiting but that was it a some local came down and swam up and down the channel scaring away any Whiting that were there. Then on to High Cliff and Tractor Beach before heading home. The coast line around here is stunning.

Played two 18 hole rounds of golf on the 9 hole course with two tee blocks for each hole. The course is maintained by volunteers and has grass tee blocks and fairways with sand scrapes.

Rode 11Kms return to the boat ramp and back.

Fished of the jetty but didn't catch anything worth keeping.

For all the Townie lovers out there it failed again at Streaky Bay this time the rear tyre was flat requiring a new tube, clearly it doesn't like being out of suburbia.

Left Streaky and travelled to Ceduna and stayed at the Foreshore Caravan Park for a week which is managed by Marty and Jodie who work very hard to keep it clean and tidy, great little park close to the city centre and jetty. Picked up our roof racks and bike holders we had ordered when in Pt Augusta as storing the bikes inside the van when travelling was inconvenient when stopping overnight. Well the Townie was a problem once again as the pretty white front mudguard was too low and had to be modified. I removed the guard and modify its mounting to rotate it enough to allow it to fit the bike rack, what next ?

Drove out to Denial Bay and did some fishing from the jetty where we met an old guy in his 90's on his gopher fishing along with his 80 year old nephew and both were being looked after by their neighbour also on her gopher, luckily none of them fell in. Landed a few Herring.

Rode our bikes out to Pinky Point at Thevanard.

Played 18 holes on the crapy golf course which has the first two holes of the Nullarbor Links, the view from the first grassed tee block looked promising with a green fairway ahead but when you get there it is thick succulent weeds which they must water along with fairway for the second Nullarbor Links hole (18th Hole) the rest are all dry dead weed fairways. The greens were oiled sand scrapes.

The experience convinced us not to bother playing the Nullarbor Links.

Drove out to Decres Bay for lunch and some fishing but didn't catch anything.

Its Crab Season from November to March and people were netting Blue Swimmers from the Jetty and I managed to land a Salmon.

Left Ceduna and travelled to Coorabie Farm near Fowlers Bay for a few days. Poggy and Deb own the farm and used grow wheat here and run sheep, they now lease the land to neighbours to grow wheat. They still run sheep but are building up the site for tourism. They have cabins here and an area for self-contained vans, there is limited power, toilets and showers. They are 4th generation residents of Coorabie and are full of knowledge and stories about the area especially around the camp fire each night with a few beers.

Drove to Wandilla Beach and then on to Fowlers Bay where Caroline decided she would like to try her hand at Squid Fishing from the jetty so a Squid Jig was purchased and moments later she landed her first Squid followed by another a short time later. Strange thing is the first time she touched the squid was to remove the tube from the fridge to cut it up and cook it! I managed to land a Whiting.

Went back again the next day but it was too windy and nothing was caught.

We had a great time at Coorabie Farm and would stay there again.

Left Coorabie to cross the Nullarbor and called in to the Head of Bight lookout and even though it wasn't whale season it is well worth it as the views are outstanding. Then on to Bunda Cliffs Lookout No 2 where we stayed the night, once again spectacular views of the cliffs. A change in wind direction meant that the temp dropped from 38 deg to 26 deg in the last 50kms into Bunda Cliffs No 2.

The next day we drove to Woorbla Homestead Rest Area approx. 130Km past Caiguna during the drive the temp dropped from 38 deg down to 18 deg as we drove through a large storm which continued throughout the night, first rain we have driven in since we left in July.

From Woorlba we travelled to Norseman where we sat for 2 days so we could watch the final round of the V8s and were very happy to see Frosty and Ford win the Championship. At least Holden won't be able to buy the Number 1 like they have twice before after Ford won it.

Had lightning and hail the first day we were here.

Drove out to Lake Cowan which stretches for 90Km and up to the Beacon Hill Lookout.

Left Norseman and travelled to Esperance where we stayed for 2 weeks at the Bathers Paradise Caravan Park, a small old park which the current owners bought 18 weeks ago and have been working hard improving it with new lawn etc, it is good little park.

Rode our bikes into town a few times along the foreshore to check out the Info Centre and shops, sadly the Tanker Jetty is closed for repairs so no fishing for squid here.

Did the Great Ocean Drive taking in many spectacular beaches and Pink Lake, sat on Twilight Beach for lunch.

Drove out to Cape Le Grand National Park and visited Frenchman Peak, Thistle Cove, Lucky Bay, Rossitor Bay, Hellfire Bay and Le Grand Beach all are spectacular sights.

Sat on Lucky Bay Beach for lunch where a few Kangaroos come down to nibble on the seaweed, not what you expect to see on a beach. Fished at Hellfire Bay and caught a feed of Bull Herring.

Tried fishing at Lake Windabout without success. Walked the 7Km return Kepwari Trails through the lake wetlands. Fished at Salmon Beach a couple of times with no success.

Went to the movies where Caroline saw the Dressmaker and I saw the Star Wars movie in 3D.

Met a young couple travelling with 2 small dogs and 7 month old baby and offered to look after the dogs for a day so they could go the Cape Le Grand, Caroline was right at home having the dogs with her in the van for the day.

Esperance has a great golf course in excellent condition with plenty of water and some challenging holes. We have enjoyed playing here but sadly the scores have not been great.

The sand here is very soft and pure white giving the water that beautiful blue colour.

Travelled to Kalgoorlie where we will stay in the Prospector Holiday Park for two weeks.

We are looking forward to spending Xmas with Brian in Kalgoorlie.

We wish everyone a very Merry Xmas and a happy and prosperous New Year

Kym and Caroline


Additional photos below
Photos: 140, Displayed: 30


Advertisement

Lake HartLake Hart
Lake Hart

Just before Pimba
Coober PedyCoober Pedy
Coober Pedy

Strange machinery around here.


23rd December 2015

Awesome shots of The Rock! Especially enjoyed its less photogenic side that you captured. Some amazing other landscape shots too! Love your work. How cool was that Roo on the Beach? So casual! Have a good Christmas and New Years and k
eep on enjoying the travels!!!
23rd December 2015

Some amazing photos! You're certainly clocking up the miles. Have a Merry Christmas, and a happy New Year. Enjoy and stay safe!
23rd December 2015

What a fabulous journey you are having. Love the stories and Pictures feel like we are there. Have a Merry Xmas glad you are spending it with Brian and all the very best for 2016. May your travels be safe.
23rd December 2015

Loved your blog, reading of all your adventures. Looks like we'll have to do it all again just to cover all those little places you have managed to explore (some that we didn't even know existed). We have been back home in Gladstone for ju
st over a week and trying to adjust to normal home life. We wish you both a very Merry Christmas in Kalgoorlie and we look forward to receiving your New Year blogs. Happy travels!
23rd December 2015

Good to have so much time and not be locked into any time schedules. Gives you the opportunity to see everything in each place. Glad to see you stopped at the Foreshore caravan park in Ceduna. It is owned by a mate of mine and managed by h
is daughter Jodie and her partner. A group if us (SA O'Keefe's) pwent to Tassie back in November and played golf at Barnbugle. A must when you get there in your travels. Keep up with the great photos - really enjoy them with envy!Hedley
24th December 2015

is this a test to make sure we are reading the blog???
24th December 2015

What the ?
29th December 2015

Howdy hairy legs (and Caroline!) - great pics and commentary. I am sure if you put all the commentary together after 12 months you'll have a great advertorial for Australia! Keep the fishing up and post a decent size fish !! Mick
5th January 2016

Hi sounds great. Your adventure is going fairly well, not to many mishaps. Photos are wonderful, keep enjoying. Wishing you both a great 2016 chat soon cheers Robyn and Geoff
9th January 2016

Hi guys we are checking in again hopefully all is well. Especially with the fire situation. Hope you haven't been caught in this if so keep safe. Cheers Robyn and Geoff xxx
24th February 2016

Hi Carolina and Kim hope you are both enjoying the journey. Where are you now? We would like to catch up again. Picture and diary are great cheers Robyn and Geoff

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb