Kalgoorlie (Tuesday 9th July - Thursday 11th July)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalgoorlie
July 11th 2013
Published: July 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We pulled into Kalgoorlie at about 5pm to find the first caravan park that we drove too was full, but luckily were able to secure a powered site at the next one. We were recommended the local pup 'The Rec' for dinner so headed over to find an all you can eat smorgasbord, not our usual, but we sat down, ate too much, then went back to the van to wallow in our fullness!

The next morning we went to check out the Kalgoorlie Boulder Super Pit, the largest open cut mine in Australia. What an unbelievably huge hole in the ground that lies so close to the township. The pit measures 3.8km long and 1.35km wide and goes down to a depth of more than 500 metres, now that is one BIG mine! We then headed out to the museum and learnt about the history of this unique gold mining town.

Upon returning to our van for the evening we were in for one very eventful evening with rain falling, then a thunder and lightening storm crashing overhead, followed by pelting hail! We stayed dry in our little Jayco and nice and warm after the timely purchase of a heater for the van during the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement








Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb