Esperance to Kalgoorlie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalgoorlie
February 22nd 2011
Published: February 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Good SamaritansGood SamaritansGood Samaritans

Snap of the Austrian girls who ran out of fuel on the way to Orleans Bay.
Hi all
Please read the entries below for the latest update.
15th Feb 2011
We’ve been in Esperance for just over a week now and today is the first day with sunshine. It has been very windy and overcast so we have only ventured out on the odd occasion. We did the “Great Ocean Drive” on Sunday, which follows the coast to the west of the town and loops back to the Pink Lake, close to our caravan park. The scenery was lovely, with high white cliffs leading down to the usual white sand beaches.
Today was spent exploring Duke of Orleans Bay, approximately 110km east of here. On the way there, we came across a couple of young Austrian girls whose car had run out of petrol. We drove 20km to the nearest petrol station and back to get them some fuel. They were very grateful, being in such a remote area. They were lucky it was us who came along, and not some Ivan Mallat character!
Orleans Bay had some isolated beaches, accessible only by 4WD so we had a bit of fun doing the off-road thing.
On the way back we detoured to Cape Le Grande national Park
Lucky Bay 1Lucky Bay 1Lucky Bay 1

Rose and I on Lucky Bay beach in Cape Le Grande NP
and called in to see Lucky bay, which we had had rave reports about. It was everything people had told us. The pictures tell everything. Another spot we visited was Thistle Cove. We had a walk across some huge rocks to get a look at the cove and Rose got a hell of a fright when she walked past a small bush. A huge lizard came rushing out and stood staring at her in a threatening standoff. Rose slowly backed off and all was well.
Our friends Noelie and Merv finally arrived in town today and we had a quick coffee on our way back to our site. After the coffee we went to the Rotary lookout and took some shots of the very special sunset. The clouds looked as if they were being stirred with a huge spoon. (see snap).
22nd Feb 2011
We are now in Norseman after travelling up to Kalgoorlie from Esperance (400km) on Sunday. We had two full days there, visiting the Super Pit (open cut goldmine) and a few other attractions. On the way back today, we stopped off at Coolgardie where the first gold was discovered, sparking the 1890’s gold rush. Interestingly, the
Lucky bay 2Lucky bay 2Lucky bay 2

Rose on Lucky bay beach.
water supply to Goolgardie and Kalgoorlie, is supplied by a 547km pipeline originating in the Perth Hills. It was the brainchild of an engineer named O’Connor. Unfortunately he didn’t live to see the opening of the pipeline due to him committing suicide as a result of all of the criticism aimed at him by the politicians of the time. Little did they know what a masterpiece of engineering he had masterminded.
While in Kalgoorlie, I purchased a scorecard for the longest golf course in the world “Nullabor Links”. There are 18 holes to be played at various locations between Kalgoorlie and Ceduna, way across the SA side of the Nullabor Plain. I played three holes today on the way from Kalgoorlie.
The road between Kalgoorlie and Norseman is lined with Salmon Gums. As the name suggests, they have a striking shiny salmon coloured bark.
We will stay in Norseman for another day before starting our adventure across the 1200km trip across the Nullabor. Hopefully there won’t be too much of a headwind, with the cost of fuel in mind?
Catch you all later
John & Rose



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Thistle CoveThistle Cove
Thistle Cove

Another magic location in Cape Le Grande NP near Esperance
Esperance Sunset 1Esperance Sunset 1
Esperance Sunset 1

Check out the spiral effect?
Esperance Sunset 2Esperance Sunset 2
Esperance Sunset 2

Great snap of Rose with sunset behind.
Super PitSuper Pit
Super Pit

Snap of the Kalgoorlie Super Pit, taken from the public viewing platform. Approx. 800,000oz of gold are extracted from here annually!!
Kalgoorlie GCKalgoorlie GC
Kalgoorlie GC

Proof I was at the first location of "Nullabor Links" Two holes played here
Black GreenBlack Green
Black Green

Kambalda GC - Part of the "Nullabor Links" adventure
Kambalda GCKambalda GC
Kambalda GC

2nd location for Nullabor" Links"
Redback on the toilet seat?Redback on the toilet seat?
Redback on the toilet seat?

I waited until we got home!


22nd February 2011

Sky high!
Told you those hums would be impressive, didn't I? :) What is the cost of petrol there these days? We bitched about it in '96 when it was around a $1 a litre - hate to think what it is now though! When does the schedule put you in Melbourne btw? Stephen
5th March 2011

Sky High
Petrol was about $1.50 in Kalgoorlie but as much as $1.85 along Nullarbor. Car was working hard against strong headwinds. Fuel economy up to 23L/100km?????

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb