Kalbarri


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalbarri
December 12th 2006
Published: December 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Monday 11th Dec
While packing last night I was talking to a girl (Jane) in my room who had been staying there a long time we just had never been in the room at the same time as eachother and she said she was travelling to Kalbarri as well tomorrow. So when I woke for the bus at 4am and saw her asleep on the sofa I woke her up and we both sleepily stumbled onto the bus for the journey south. We arrived at about 9am and on the last bus spoke to a guy called John who had come out for the cricket. The town is fairly big compared to what we have been use to which means it has more than one street! We all went for Brunch and then I hid inside watching TV as it was so hot outside. Even so John and I decided that it would be a good idea to go for a cycle ride. They drive you up a hill 14km away and then you cycle back down. So we went at 3.30 hoping the heat wouldn’t be so strong then. We went to a look out point and then thought we would push our bikes along a footpath to another lookout to avoid walking back on ourselves. That was just painful as it was so hot and pushing through sand and then you had no hands to wave the flies of and to top it of the second lookout wasn’t worth going to either!! There where a few up hills but it was mostly down or flat and we stopped at a small bay for a swim in really big waves. The water was definitely appreciated. It turned out that this cycle ride was done in 43*C+ heat!!
We went back to where we had brunch for dinner and I had a really nice curry.

Tuesday 12 Dec
Because of helping on the Pearl farm and because Jane had already met his brother Danny we got on his canoeing trip for free. It was an early start but meant we were back by 12 and it wasn’t so hot. It was a nice canoe down the river except it was a little shallow in parts so had to walk. A really big nice breakfast was included.
The three of us hired a car in the afternoon and went to the National park to see the sights. The river was so empty but there was some amazing cliff formations and it was nice to see something other than beach.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

A refreshing swimA refreshing swim
A refreshing swim

With a wave machine!
Canoeing- or is it walking?Canoeing- or is it walking?
Canoeing- or is it walking?

Jane pulling our canoe


18th December 2006

Canoeing ?
The lifejacket looks a bit unnecessary in half an inch of water - still better safe than sorry. Was the kangaroo friendly ?

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1013s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb