Jurien Bay, Gin Gin & New Norcia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Gingin
November 7th 2010
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

So, what did you reckon to the bending tree at Greenough? Bet you thought we were exaggerating about how strong the winds can get?

We have also been a little busy since we last spoke, our mate Glen asked us to pen him a few songs, he was so impressed with “Geraldton”

But here we are at Jurien Bay, the place to stop when visiting The Pinnacles. Jurien bay itself, whilst very nice, is also very similar to most other places on this stretch of the coastline. We had read a few articles regarding the Pinnacles, some good, some not so good, but we thought they were well worth the trip. You can do a short 1.2km walk amongst them or take the 4km drive through them, or as we did, do both. A big thank you to Main Roads WA for on 19 September they opened Indian Ocean Drive from Cervantes to Lancelin which took a good 50km off our next journey to the Willowbrook Farm Caravan Park near Gin Gin. Gin Gin is a picturesque village, in fact it was like being in the Cotswolds in England. While looking round we stumbled into a cellar door at Riseborough Estate and tumbled out with a few bottles of 15% Shiraz.

Our main reason for visiting Gin Gin was to be close to New Norcia, a town built by Spanish Benedictine Monks in 1847, to help the believed 3000 aboriginal people who lived in the area. Many buildings had been built and crops planted before they discovered that there were only around 300! Hey, building chapels they were good at, maths, well no so good it seems! But undeterred they carried on and today there are 16 buildings but alas no Spanish monks, just 5 Australian ones who run and manage the whole place. They produce things like award winning olive oil, fortified wines and Abbey Ale at 7% proof - they won’t sell it to you in pints. We took a 2 hour guided tour that includes several chapels that you can’t otherwise see, and whilst we are not religious, we found it fascinating. If you ever visit pay the extra. For our journey to New Norcia we took the scenic route through the Chittering Valley past - yes, PAST, several wineries.

And so we head for our next stop - the northern suburbs of Perth
See you there.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb