Fitzroy Crossing/Geike Gorge (30 June - 1 July)


Advertisement
Published: July 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

From Purnululu we travelled west down the sealed highway, stopping at China Wall near Halls Creek for lunch. We then stopped at Fitzroy Lodge caravan park for a couple of nights with a day trip to Geike Gorge on the 1st July. We also had our first attempt at cooking scones in the camp oven and amazingly we all braved the freezing cold waters of the lodge's pool - brrrr!

We're beginning to wonder if we made a good decision in attempting the trip in just a tent as Alex keeps looking on in envy as all the vans and camper trailers pack up so quickly and easily compared to us! Plus a few fellow travellers have given us strange looks when we've said that we're travelling for a year this way. I'm also starting to wonder if a camper trailer is not a bad idea. Anyway, we'll see how we go and make a decision once we reach Perth. We also hope to spend at least 3 days at locations so that we're not setting up and packing up the whole time.

We had heard that it was difficult to get accommodation in Broome, so we rang ahead from Fitzoy Crossing on the 30th, but most places were booked out, wouldn't take bookings, or didn't know until the following day. In the end, we managed to book 5 nights accommodation at “Vacation Village” which appeared to be nice according to the brochures. We were keen on a powered site as we didn't know if we'd be doing enough driving while in Broome to keep the auxiliary battery charged. Although the accommodation was not cheap, it was good knowing that we had a place to stay.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb