Port to Port


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Fremantle
November 1st 2014
Published: November 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Port To PortPort To PortPort To Port

Members of the Toyota Landcruiser Club at Fairbridge Church
A little while ago we ran a 4Wheel drive club trip called Bush Cocktails and Camp Ovens at Harvey and during this trip we visited a little winery in Yarloop called Skipworth wines.

We had such a good experience with the owner of this vineyard that we just had to tell our friends about it and go back.

So we decided to run a half day trip to Yarloop so we could go to the winery and organised to meet the attending members of the Toyota Landcruiser Club at the Pinjarra Bakery as usual, which I think is always a good place to start a trip from someone had said we ought to get “Frequent Pie Eater points” for the times we have spent in this bakery.

I was up at 5.00 am and had prepared the salad and the food for the day, as the Vineyard owner said that we could use their BBQ’s for anyone who wanted to bring food to cook, but we decided to do a chicken salad as the weather has started to get a lot warmer.

We left our place at 07.30 and got to the bakery at around 08.15, Sonny
Port to PortPort to PortPort to Port

Fairbridge Church
and Allison were already there, sitting at a table for two inside so we didn’t want to disturb their breakfast so went outside and grabbed ourselves a table.

Our pies had been ordered I had a “Jolly Swagman” (A steak and Kidney pie), possibly the very best I have had in Australia, and Caroline started her day with a “Bush Wacker” (Egg and Bacon Pie), complete with a Skinny Flat white coffee, what could be more perfect, to start the day.

All our members had arrived, they had all fuelled up with Diesel, Pies and Coffee, and we all pulled out at 09.30. we went a few K’s down the road to Farirbridge Village again, most people had been before, but one of our members had their son with them who had a German exchange student who was in Australia for a while, so we thought it would be a nice point of interest for her, to see how Children were brought over from the UK for a better life, of course we took a photo of us all in the beautiful little church all sitting in the pews, and had a bit of a walk around, some
Port To PortPort To PortPort To Port

Fairbridge Church, stain glass Window
of our members did the little museum and then we moved on.

We had decided to do some cross country tracks, but unfortunately ended up at locked gates so we had to turn around and go back, so there was no other alternative than to take the bitumen,(Boing), and the boring road to Yarloop took us all the way to Skipworth wines and we arrived at around 12.30, it was a windy day and only reasonably warm, we all piled in and Kim was prepared for an onslaught of tasting, with all the sampling bottles lined up ready to go, and with Kim providing the descriptions of what we were tastings we all tried some of the wines and Port and I have to say their Ruby port is just fantastic, a lovely deep fruity little number that is fragrant and easy to drink, it was a pity we never took any Cheese and crackers to complement it with.

Caroline had a list prepared for what she wanted and I was glad to see our TLCC members supported this local industry as they purchased the local Skipworth Wines.

With the wine tasting done, and I did only
Port To PortPort To PortPort To Port

Tasting at Skipworths
sample the Ruby port as I was driving we all gave our orders to Kim, and he set around preparing them for transportation home, whilst we got the BBQ’s on and cooked what they had brought, as we had brought our Chicken Salad, we had no need for the BBQ.

We sat under the shade sale and ate our lunch , with our friends and once all our purchases had been made and loaded in to our vehicles everyone could just make their own way home at their own pace we had to drop in on Peter and Leigh in Wellard as they had post for us, so decided to make tracks when w were ready, just as we left, trailing behind Andy & Karen Baley, they advised over the radio that there was a dead snake in the road so we had to stop and have look, though we were not sure what it was with think it was a dugite, a sub species of the Western Brown Snake, yes it is venomous.

We had a quick squizz of the dead creature and took a photo then jumped back in the truck and headed off back towards
Port to PortPort to PortPort to Port

Ready for tasting
home, we dropped in to see Peter and Leigh, but unfortunately Leigh was not back from work and Peter was washing their camper, ready for the next adventure.

We stayed for a chat and a cup of tea, picked up some mail and then headed off, it was a short hope home and soon we were back, getting ready for work tomorrow.

When we were uploading the pictures of this blog I wanted to put the picture of the dead snake, but Caroline said no!! She said its not fair, so I said, why don’t we tell our readers it was just asleep, but as you can guess the picture did not get put up.

Until next time



Kj


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Port to PortPort to Port
Port to Port

Fairbridge Church
Port to PortPort to Port
Port to Port

TLCC Vehicles
Port to PortPort to Port
Port to Port

Bottles for tasting
Port to PortPort to Port
Port to Port

Kim Skipworth
Port to PortPort to Port
Port to Port

Making our purchase
Port to PortPort to Port
Port to Port

Lunch time
Port to PortPort to Port
Port to Port

Skipworth Vines
Port To PortPort To Port
Port To Port

Fairbridge House
Port To PortPort To Port
Port To Port

Looking at Woorona Dam


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb