Fremantle and Sorrento


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Fremantle
January 20th 2007
Published: February 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ian and Julie were staying at a B and B a few streets away, so they came for breakfast (on the Barbie of course). Then we caught the local bus to the train station and travelled to Fremantle (the locals call it Freo) via Perth. The train journey was pleasurable as all the stations we stopped at were of different settings. At some towns the houses were really new and others were old and traditional, complete with front porches.

At ‘Freo’ we ventured into a few shops looking for hats. The sun was so strong so some of us decided to buy a hat. Lynne, Julie, Ian and I all managed to complete our mission. Then had to quenched our thirsts and visited a pub called ‘Sail and Anchor Pub’ which is situated in the heart of South Terrace, a Fremantle landmark and a heritage listed building. The men had lots of different beers to choose from; I settled for a shandy, Vienna had a glass of wine called ‘Vienna Red’. Then we chilled out upstairs on the outside balcony overlooking the famous Cappuccino Strip. The best view in town.

I ‘tried’ to blow on a didgeridoo on one of the stalls at Fremantle Market, it wasn’t worth trying really, but I had to have a go. Rolf Harris made it look so easy, no chance! Julie and I stayed at the store that sold didgeridoo’s and bought a few souvenirs; boomerangs and fridge magnets. We fancied loads of other thinks but didn’t fancy carrying them on the rest of our travels.

We walked all around the Victoria Quay and wandered into the Little Creatures Brewery (it’s a massive converted boat shed) for a pizza. After we had ordered our drinks everyone decided we didn’t fancy a pizza so ventured elsewhere around the harbour.

We ended up at ‘Joes Fish Shack’ at Fishing Boat Harbour and had a great meal, but cannot remember what.

Travelled back home to Mindarie, via Perth on the train, but most of us nodded off to sleep. The ones who stayed awake kept taking pictures of how funny everyone looked with their mouths open. This caused lots of amusement at a later date, although each one of us had succumbed at some time or another.

Sunday 21

We all went for breakfast at Jetty’s Restaurant in Sorrento Quay Boardwalk at Hillarys Boat Harbour is 20 minutes from the heart of Perth. The men hung around the harbour and the ladies looked at the shops for a change. In the evening John and Nik’s friends Georgia and Dennis, were coming around for a BBQ. They too, had visitors from the UK and they all came too.

Before the Barbie, we lay by the pool with a drink to unwind and have a relaxed swim, or should I say frolic. We come across some water bombs hidden underneath the sun beds and everyone joined in whether they liked it or not. By the time the guests arrived most of us were tiddly, mentioning no names Mrs R, everyone was really. John (complete with his Chinese hat and plait) cooked the food, as well as singing on the karaoke. He kept on trying to get the Black County lot to have a sing, but no-one could manage decent chord.

Ian and Julie were leaving for Uluru (Ayres Rock) the next day, so they didn’t stay too late. We would see them again on Friday, but still felt sad to see them leave.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb