Day 8 THE END OF HARRY! :(


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Exmouth » the city
June 18th 2008
Published: June 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well they say bad luck happens in 3's, and that saying proved right for us as Harry is dead.

The day started off great; we got to Coral Bay nice and early and went out snorkeling on the Ningaloo Reef. We saw some amazing fish and a couple stingrays. You didn't even need to snorkel to see some, by the beach standing knee deep massive snappers swim around in groups of about 10. Literally swimming round you and having a good old look at you.

We had our lunch on the beach and then decided to get to Exmouth reasonably early to get a good camp spot and find our bearings. Then, disaster struck.....110km south of Exmouth and Harry starts smoking and then just dies. I managed to flog down THE Telstra phone engineer for the area who kindly let us use his satellite phone to call the RAC. Telstra is the only network that works up here and there is no signal out of the settlements so we we're very lucky, we could have been there for the night!

So, the RAC man came and in his own words I quote "it's f**ked" costing at least as much as we paid for the van to fix it, bang slap with those two words our naive views of travelling Oz in Harry came crashing down, our hearts are ripped out and we are truly gutted. Harry was loaded onto the back of the tow truck and we climbed in the front with a 110km ride (that’s cost us $261) to contemplate where this leaves us.

Aaron the RAC man literally plonked us on a caravan site and there we will stay until we figure something out.

Oh yeah and we also worked out that with everything Harry has cost us, buying originally, new tyre and new radiator divided by km travelled before he conked, it would be cheaper to get Aaron to tow us round Oz



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb