Snorkeling Heaven


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Exmouth
November 9th 2012
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -21.9277, 114.126

Since kangaroos and emus on the road are something of a hazard in the late afternoon and evening, we parked our not so trusty campervan (now known as Nameless due to severe performance issues that just won't allow me to bond with her) in Carnarvon for the night and woke up to, you guessed it, another flat tire. Surprising me, DH immediately swung into action but it turns out she was just making herself a cup of tea and positioning the camper chair so she could watch the entire tire changing exercise in comfort. Having done it once already, and without the high speed traffic, this change was quite a bit more efficient although I could have lived without the catcalls of "take your shirt off grease monkey" from the DH peanut gallery. We had a chance to look around Carnarvon while tire number two was being repaired (another spike....and why does DH have a hammer in her purse??), but the town is a little shy on things to do and see so we were happy to be back on four patched-and-plugged tires and on our way to Exmouth and Coral Bay.

Exmouth was as far north as we had planned on traveling and this decision was confirmed by the many escapees we met heading south who suggested that the heat, humidity, rain, and flys were unbearable at this time. With the whale shark and whales no longer in the area, and all diving on hold until the "swellies" subsided, Coral Bay and Exmouth were all about the coral reefs you would see while snorkeling right from the beach. The two communities are connected by the Ningaloo Reef which stretches 260 kilometres from Bundegi Reef to Amherst Point- it reaches nearly 20 kilometres out to sea, encompassing a massive 5,000 square kilometres of ocean with 500 species of tropical fish and 220 species of coral in all (note to Chris M- you're in luck as I have photos of most of them).

It only occurs to us now that our logistical planning might have been off. Knowing we were doing an out and back trip, we nonetheless saw all of the WA highlights on the way up and left nothing for the trip back. The result is a couple of long driving days ahead with a van that's somewhat prone to flat tires, but DH has promised to sing a medley of tunes from her high school days (dare I suggest that the trip just got longer?).


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



26th November 2012

Are you going South of Perth? Margaret River is lovely, maybe do some hiking in Stirling Range. Climb the Gloucester Tree? Have fun!
26th November 2012

Gorgeous photos, as always!Re: medley of high school tunes: In keeping with the "travelling" theme, Deb, might I suggest, "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo", "Ventura Highway", "Me and Bobby McGee", and "Ramblin' Man", to name a few. Enjoy,
Vic! LOL
26th November 2012

Exceptional underwater photography!
26th November 2012

After several weeks of sleeping on a piece of foam in the camper van, it appears that I did infact, fall asleep whilst snorkeling!
26th November 2012

And we thought that you were just demonstrating the dead man's float!
26th November 2012

Good God, I'd give anything to be on this beach!!
26th November 2012

What about Bob, Carl and Stan? Where are they?
26th November 2012

What? Really?
28th November 2012

Vic, more birds ?
28th November 2012

I say ditch the van and ride off on the bird.
30th November 2012

A whole world of it's own.....
30th November 2012

OMG! THAT'S where I want to be right now!!!
30th November 2012

I can actually think of one person I would love to strap to one of those harmless looking hills : )Thanks for cheering me up!!
30th November 2012

That one looks happy!!!
30th November 2012

Awwww :) Soooooooooooooo Cute!!
6th December 2012

that grin says he poked the hole in the tire.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb