Skippy and Friends


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Exmouth
March 31st 2007
Published: March 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Slightly later start, first visited Cape Range lighthouse 1000 metres high to see fantastic views of landscape below. Then off to Milyering visitor centre, where we discovered some tame kangaroos who visit the centre regularly for refreshments. One of the kangaroos was carrying a baby joey!

Then we located our own private beach in the Cape Range National Park called Turquoise Bay, which was excellent for snorkelling in the shallow warm waters. Lots of sightings of unusual tropical fish, some of the group were fortunate enough to swim above reef sharks, turtles and stingrays - a great experience. However there were a huge number of jelly fish that we tried to avoid, most lying on the shoreline. Then we had a picnic lunch on the beach in the immense heat. On our return to the bus Nick and I spotted a small group of wild kangaroos shading beneath a tree in the scrubland.

In Lighthouse Bay we saw the SS Mildura cattleship which was destroyed when the ship clipped the reef during a cyclone in 1907. The irons were salvaged for renovations in Yardie Homestead.

Next we all went sandboarding down the steep sand dunes. We were both flying down at such a tremendous speed that we landed in the sea and ended up soaking wet!

When we returned back to the Potshot resort we came across a group of wild emus crossing the highway. Our last dinner with some of the group members as they headed north, so Mary and I decorated the tables with flowers and we all ate Mexican meal with a glass of champagne supplied by the tour company. We all wore our cowboy hats, whilst we listened to the Japanese girls sing, being accompanied by Trevor on the guitar. Later we all made a human chain whilst everyone lept in the air to meet their fate - hopefully to be caught! Ellie only just survived... Then the evening was finished off with a live band playing in the bar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.287s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 77; dbt: 0.2279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb