Nixons Demolish Derby


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Derby
September 12th 2008
Published: September 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Prison Boab The Prison Boab The Prison Boab

They used this tree to lock up crims on the way to Derby Jail. They had to walk to jail back then so they rested here.
We left Kununurra and made our way across the top of WA to Derby via an overnight stop at Halls Creek. Not much to report there, the caravan park did have a pool though.
We decided to explore the other end of the Gibb River road and see Tunnel Creek. This is a creek that runs through the Wall of a gorge and in the dry you can walk right through in the dark, knee deep in water. We had a great time with our torches and took heaps of video(i am yet to master downloading video to the blog) and Dannielle even found a swimming hole that was too deep to walk through so she went for a dip in the dark.
The hightlight of our visit to Derby was the overnight stay on the 1.5million dollar Yacht, we left Derby on a float plane and landed in the middle of the Buccaneer Archipeligo, boarded a jet boat and sped up and down the Horizontal falls. The falls are created by the huge 11m tides racing between the rocks of the coastline. Then we found ourselves relaxing on the yacht for the night under a full moon. In the morning we cruised around the islands until the float plane arrived to pick us up that afternoon and take us back to Derby. It was a 20/10.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb