Valley of the Giants - Denmark, Walpole


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Denmark
April 7th 2009
Published: April 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We got an early start outta Albany and headed the scenic route to Denmark. Other then roadworks, this road is the most prettiest drive. The fields and valleys are all amazing.

We stopped in Denmark out at Ocean Beach, went down to check out the surf. It's a hot stop for the local surfers, so we took it all in and thought , we should have allowed more time so Sandy and I could get out there, the waves were only a couple of foot, but the beaches are beautiful and the waves had some form (next time for sure, or even a weekend getaway for those in Perth ,hint hint - Justine and Tones)

Once outta Denmark and heading towards Walpole, the trees take on a form of their own, growing extremley tall in this region, it makes the drive a little hectic as your forehead is glued to the windscreen in wonder, i can't say it enough the trees are frigging huge. They are so tall you can't take in the size in a passing car. You'll definetly want to stop and take it all in as it's amazing. Best place is at the Tree Top walk. We paid our fair and walked the 40 meter high walkway. It's really really high up. Both hands on the railings at all time, and no walking near children as they like to muck around and jump on the bridge making it move and sway. Queezy stomaches all round.

The Red Tingles trees are the most common tree with their bases growing almost 12 metres and the height up to 75 metres, but most averaging 40 - 50 metres. The word Red tingle comes from the Aborigines as the trees have a red glow to them. We came across the grandmother of all the trees over 400 years in age. Thats old huh? My Grandma thinks 87 is old. . . not even !

Sandy and I enjoyed the beautiful scenery and took heaps of photos, as you can imagine it doesn't do any justice to the sheer size. After building up an appetite we stopped in Walpole as Hampo told us about this amazing pie shop, so we ravished several of those and headed on the south west road stopping in Shannons national park , to stretch the legs , passed through a very burnt out Bridgetown, those fires went through the same day as Black Saturday in Victoria. The town is very beautiful even still with all the burnt out areas being cleared. Then back to Perth for a quick stop over as Teresa, Alex and Chloe are in town for Easter.

Had a great little catch up with my sisters , brother, partners and nephews over pizza and beer ready for the next leg...

North East !


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb