Day 2 Perth to Broome - Denham


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Denham
April 14th 2012
Published: April 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

We were up at 5am this morning - before the sun had even risen to start the drive to Kalbarri national park. We stopped along the drive to see Pot Alley, which is a look out across the Indian ocean with some very steep cliffs. After a couple of photos it was back on board and through the town of Kilbarri which is a population of only 15,000 and which is at the foot of the Murchison river, where it joins the Indian Ocean. Our next stop was at Z bend gorge where we went on a hike through the gorge and a couple of the group took part in Abseiling a 25metre cliffs. We decided to abstain from the abseiling and save our money for some of the dive trips later in the tour. From here it was a 20minute drive to Natures window which is a rock which has formed naturally to look like a window frame with a beautiful view of the gorge behind it. We had a quick lunch in the picnic area at Natures window before continuing on the drive to Shark Bay. It was a 3 and a half hour drive to Shark Bay, with only a quick stop at a road house to pick up fuel. Shark Bay is a National Heritage area and we were staying in the only town in the Shark Bay Reserve, Denham, which is next to Shelly Beach (as its name suggests its entirely covered in shells rather than sand or rocks). Before heading to our hostel for a BBQ dinner we stopped at Shelly beach, the shells wash up on shore when the crustaceans die in the sea and they are collected in this area due to the high salt content in the surrounding bay, Hamelin pool, which means that the crustaceans thrive in the area but other fish and mammals couldn't survive here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb