Made it all the way to the Pilbara!...Well, the coast...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Coral Bay
April 3rd 2010
Published: April 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 3

Leg 3: Monkey Mia - Coral Bay (via Carnarvon)


We saw Dolphins!!!

You probably guessed that we would, since we were staying at the Dolphin resort, but i'm not sure you understood there would be dolphins here - lol. No monkeys. Feeding happens 3 times a day but you're pretty much guaranteed to see dolphins if you go in the morning. About 5 dolphins turned up, and we all stood in line knee deep in the water, each trying to get a photo while dodging elbows heads and noses with our lenses. The dolphins are quite used to it all, and they swim up and down the line with the DEC rangers and flip over in the water, playing and posing. One of then is called Nikki! (She's 34 and has a baby though, so it's not me. And, you know, she's a dolphin and i'm not).

We'd woken up at 6.30 so we could cook and eat breakfst and then pack everything up in the ute ready for our next 400km drive. Easier said than done. Alarms on once again, and moaning and groaning come wake up time. If I never hear Danilo saying 'Babe....babe...get up....wake up.....' again it'll be too soon! He drove the car around, and I bustled about making sure our phones weren't under the bed or that we'd accidentaly left some eggs in the bathroom or whatever. Once we were all packed up we walked along the beach to the dolphin viewing area and we then started jostling for space politely and awaited the 'wild' guests.


After snapping pics and getting some video we were 'on the road again, I just can't wait to get on the...' (guess our driving theme song). I had taken some time out from roo watching to read a book on the leg in to Carnarvon from Monkey Mia, and I guess Outback Dan was jealous, so he had me read to him from HIS book on the leg out to Coral Bay. Let me tell you, sci-fi fantasy books are GREAT when you read them in your head, but when you have to try and pronounce names like Gnomb, Stragen, Xanetia and Khwaj and read for two hours, it becomes a little tedious. Apparently i'm saying them wrong as well! I haven't read that series in 8 years so I can't remember who anyone is or what the hell they're doing either.

Wildlife sightings so far:
10 Foxes (roadkill)
9 Rabbits (roadkill)
14 Goats (alive - 3 babies!)
~50 Roos (roadkill)
5 cows (alive) 1 cow (roadkill)
5 Dolphins
5 eagles (alive)
15 crows (alive...eating dead roos..ugh)
1 emu (alive)
0 Monkeys




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Eeeeeew!Eeeeeew!
Eeeeeew!

Crows eating a dead roo. Eeeeew!


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb