To Fremantle and Beyond .....


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Cervantes
February 22nd 2010
Published: February 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

After spending a delightful 10 days …yes 10 days, the longest we have stayed in any one place (with the exception of the raspberry farm) …. we thought it was about time to leave Glen Mervyn Dam and to start making our way towards Perth in preparation for our flight and short trip back to Brissie at the start of Feb. After Australia Day, all the other campers had started to head home anyway so ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

St IlldephonsusSt Illdephonsus
St Illdephonsus

European boys school
Chapel ceiling in St GertrudesChapel ceiling in St Gertrudes
Chapel ceiling in St Gertrudes

European girls school
New Norcia hotel New Norcia hotel
New Norcia hotel

Owned by monks



22nd March 2010

Fremantle nostalgia.
Hi, Richard, Hayley and Woody This blog brought back lots of memories to me. Fremantle was the first foreign port I sailed to during my career at sea, (thanks for the thoughts of me and the ship photo). It would have been September 1972 and we had sailed out directly from Tilbury on 'S.S. Encounter Bay' , the world's first new built fully cellular containership. The passage being 21 days at 21 knots, with just a brief reduction in speed to pick up mail off Cape Town (also middle of the night). We anchored off Rottnest Island early hours of the morning, to see lights twinkling onshore, first sight of land for 10 days (last being Cape of Good Hope). Sarcastically marvelled at the Navigation Departments ability to find Australia yet again. We moved alongside at about 0700hrs, quite normal in Australia to catch the start of the day shift, probably left that evening for Melbourne. In those days the berth was at the top of the harbour by the road bridge. It rained warm water, another new experience. Fremantle was always a favourite port, (Linda likes it too), weather always pleasant, everything a short walk away, including the nice port beach. Easy access to fresh bread and milk which we did not have onboard during those early days. Also the only port in Australia where we never got stuck in strikes. I remember the old maritime museum, there used to be pictures of some of our ships there. Always fancied a trip to Rottnest Island but never had the time, seem to remember it was the home of the world's smallest marsupial, only ever seen a stuffed version of that. Over the years the town slowly ran down but turned a big corner when the America's Cup races were held there and has never looked back since, now very nice again. They have also made good use of the older buildings. My last call there would have been about April 2002, I cannot picture the new maritime museum but suspect that it has been built on the site of a small shipyard where in the 90's they built a replica of Captain Cook's 'Endeavour'. Remember the Port then had a female Managing Director, referred to by the 'wharfies' (dockers) as 'that bloody Sheila' probably quite respectful for a wharfie. interesting about Norcia, after the British the Italians were I believe the next most numerous settlers. Looking forward to more of your adventures, watch that heat. Take care, lots of love, Roy and Linda xxx.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb