Bunker Bay, Cape Naturaliste, WHALES!!! Dunsborough, Yallingup and the Bootleg Brewery


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Busselton
October 18th 2013
Published: October 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today was our second day in the Busselton/Margaret River area. Our plan was to explore the area around Cape Naturaliste and some of the beaches nearby. Although the morning was wet and windy we decided to head for the Cape Naturaliste lighthouse via Bunker Bay by driving westwards through Dunsborough.

Bunker Bay was spectacular with trees growing down to the edge of the beach and a long crescent of golden sand. Despite looking out to sea, we saw no whales but enjoyed the 2km walk along the beach.

Next stop was the lighthouse which sits on an elevated peninsular overlooking Bunker Bay and the Indian ocean. Over 35,000 whales make an annual northward migration passing up this coastline and we had hoped to see some. It was raining heavily when we arrived but eased as we departed for the whale observation area on the clifftops some 500m away. On the way down we met two English ladies with binoculars who said that they had seen no whales. However within a few more metres we spotted turbulence and splashing in the water some 1500m away. The display was amazing with tail slapping, blowing and breaching. It went on for ages and we could even hear the sound of the many tail slaps. A few other people joined us for this spectacle but we soon decided to move on down the path. Although we did see a few other fins and splashes, nothing else compared to our first encounter. By the time we returned up the path towards the car, it was all quiet with still waters.

We drove to Meelup beach and walked along the pristine sand beach before heading eastwards back towards Busseltown.

Dunsborough is a small but very new township centred around a cross-shaped complex of stores, restaurants and businesses. We had an excellent light meal in the Rabbit Café before exploring the assorted shops in the centre. Then it was off towards Yallingup where we visited the beach.

At this point we decided to move onto the smaller back-roads and headed for the Bootleg Brewery where we bought a couple of moccas and a mixed pack of beers from the brewery.

Our journey


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb