BROOME


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
July 9th 2009
Published: July 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kevan, Marian and Lee on Cable BeachKevan, Marian and Lee on Cable BeachKevan, Marian and Lee on Cable Beach

This was our first sunset on the beach at Broome
It’s a long way from the East coast of Australia to the West coast, we have driven roughly 5,000kms. Perhaps that is why Broome is such an idyllic little town.

Last time we were in Broome was the day Australia won the America’s Cup. It was a small town with a beautiful beach back then, now it is a big town with a beautiful beach but luckily still has that wonderful laid back relaxed feel about it.

We originally intended to stay around 4 days but after 2 weeks we are finding it hard to leave.

The beach here is amazing. The water is a beautiful turquoise blue and the sand white. The temperature is a PERFECT 18 - 30 degrees EVERY day! We have to keep reminding ourselves that this is winter.

Broome was originally founded in the late 1880’s as a pearling port and still produces the world’s finest pearls. It also has one of the world’s best beaches “Cable Beach” which takes it’s name from the Broome to Java submarine telegraph cable that was laid in 1889. Today it is a magical place to relax and enjoy the magnificent sunsets over the Indian Ocean.

Every night we head off to the beach with our drinks, nibbles and chairs to watch the sunset over the water. Each night the sunset is different some more spectacular than others. I think the photos say it all really.

Broome is also where we bid farewell to Kevan and Marian who needed to be back in Brisbane at the end of July. This had been their first trip saying in free camps and as Marian said she had many “virginal” moments on this trip, we won’t go into details on that though!!

We also parted ways with Ross and Alice but hope to catch them up somewhere along the way. Ross is fondly known to us as our “tour leader” he has all the good ideas on where to go and which dirt roads to take, thanks Ross, and with Alice on a trip you eat like you are at a 5 star restaurant every night. We were always remarking on what amazing meals we have camping in the bush. Thanks Alice for those delicious meals.

I wonder where our next trip will be!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Lee and Sandy at sunsetLee and Sandy at sunset
Lee and Sandy at sunset

Broome has the best sunsets this was our first night with many more to follow
Sunset drinksSunset drinks
Sunset drinks

This is a MUST at sunset
Camels at sunsetCamels at sunset
Camels at sunset

Broome is also famous for the camels at sunset. Cost $65 per person!!! I can do without that. We took photos of them and they took photos of us!
The 8 of us on the beachThe 8 of us on the beach
The 8 of us on the beach

This was the last time the 8 of us were together, Kevan and Marian left the next day
Just about goneJust about gone
Just about gone

The sky this night was so amazing with the clouds, we just kept taking photos
Even the seagulls like the sunsetEven the seagulls like the sunset
Even the seagulls like the sunset

All the cars lined up to watch every night.
Dinner at Cafe CarlottaDinner at Cafe Carlotta
Dinner at Cafe Carlotta

This was our last dinner together before Ross and Alice left to head East. This cafe is very popular and very expensive but the food was delicious


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb