Travel Blog 28 July to 3 August(Kununurra to Broome)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
August 3rd 2008
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


A week of gorges and drama.We left Kununurra on Tues. to go to Warmun/Turkey Creek so we could do the full day 4wd tour into Purnululu Nat. Pk(known as the Bungle Bungles).Wed. was one of the longest days ever-5.30am till 9.15pm.After stopping at 8am for a snack we heard of an injured person ahead.We went a few hundred metres to find an empty minibus at roadside and one of our guide's workmates up on a ridge with a badly smashed leg and arm and other injuries.We were at the roadside for 5 hours till the rescue helicopter with Dr and nurse left with the injured fellow who had been up on the ridge to photograph the sunrise.Our tour was much shortened as result but we did see some "Bungles" and walked up a gorge in fading light.Then moved on to Fitzroy crossing where we did a boat cruise up the scenic Geekie gorge.The past 2 days have been in Derby where we took the chance to drive up to the Windjana gorge-the home to the greatest concentration of fresh water crocs in Oz.They are shy, we are assured, which enabled the close up.They are up to 3m long.Today we have come to Broome, a busy place,with lots of tourists but with great swimming beaches and 32 today we can see why.We did have a swim and sampled the local oysters(half price between 2&5 pm).In Derby it got up to 39 one day-too hot.We get the car serviced here Tues. and then move on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb