Crikey - Watch out for the crocs!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
July 21st 2005
Published: July 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Come and have a goCome and have a goCome and have a go

if you think you're hard enough
We're just back from a 5 day stay in Broome, in the very North West of Australia and it was sweet as Bro.

We're back in our base camp of Port Hedland, where we stopped on the way up to Broome too, it's a huge distance to get anywhere here and you have to just stop somewhere as you cannae drive through the night or you'll kill a million Kangaroos.

I'm not joking, you can only drive after dawn and before dusk or you'll nail something, kanga, cow, emu, there's loads of road kill all over the joint, at least 40 kangaroos every 100 KM's, no joke, murder it is I tell thee M U R D E R.

Anyway it's Andrew back on the airwaves, DJ Mudpie if you will, I dinnae ken, it just kinda happened.

So Broome, Port Hedland and HUGE distances, where will I start? Let's start with Port Hedland.

It's a wee town on the West Coast that has a huge port, the biggest in Oz, and is covered in an orange dust from the Irn Ore industry that is the towns only employer as far as I can tell. I'm
What's that lurking about down there?What's that lurking about down there?What's that lurking about down there?

I dinnae ken but it looks hungry!
not exagerating about the orange by the way, everything, the houses, cars, park benches and even the pigeons are covered in an orange dust, it's funny to see, just don't touch anything!!

The hostel is nice though, really laid back and it's nice to just unwind and chat to people.

So Broome, it's pretty much party central at the very top of the country, it has an amazing beach (Cable Beach) and it reminds me of Ibiza, 24 hour party people, so not much R&R but loads of high living. We spent our days on the beach or fighting crocs (they actually do live in the river here) and our nights in a bar or hammock sipping cocktails, cash back. It was real pricey, as these places tend to be but it was nice to see, even though we did have to drive for a fortnight to get there!!

Then the driving distances, we've had a car for two weeks and have travelled 5500 KM's, not to shabby, and we still have to get back to Perth, you have to drive for 6 hours to get places and there's nothing in between. It's something that you really
The Aussie SaltyThe Aussie SaltyThe Aussie Salty

The deadliest croc of them all.
can't comprehend unless you're here and you experience it so I think I'll stop going on about it.

I'll try and keep the blog more updated in future. Hope you enjoy the pics. No it's been OUR pleasure.

And remember the number one excuse.

It wasnae me.............................. The big boys done it and they ran away.........................


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Crocodile HunterCrocodile Hunter
Crocodile Hunter

Andrew gets to grips with a dinosaur
Handbag or shoes?Handbag or shoes?
Handbag or shoes?

Fiona decides what would look best on her.


Tot: 0.549s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 18; qc: 87; dbt: 0.266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb