A day in Albany


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Albany
April 11th 2012
Saved: September 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

One of these days I will visit a place that hasn't had its' place name replaced by a European word - but not yet!
Today we headed off to Albany. We drove along the peninsula through Torndirrup National Park on Frenchman Bay road, there were many short hikes to stop and take. First we visited the wind farm, wandering amongst the turbines on immaculately groomed paths, admiring a vivid blue sky and ocean. It was, as the Lonely Planet said, a little surreal. Next, a couple of short jaunts to admire some cool geological formations, the Gap, a natural bridge, and some blow holes. Apparently there is an exact match between some of the rocks on this part of the Australian coast, and on Antarctic from the time before they split apart many eons ago. Last stop: Whale World. The whaling industry here flourished until 1978, when increasing fuel prices, declining stocks, energetic Greenpeace activity, and finally a federal decision to protect all whales in Australian waters resulted in the closure of the last whaling station in Australia. Fortunately however, the whole Cheynes Beach Whaling station -lock stock and barrel -was passed along to the Jaycee club who have created a museum to preserve the history about whaling, and promote knowledge about whales. After saturating ourselves with whaling knowledge we walked through a display of native animals. Then we drove into Albany and toured the colonial district ( circa 1825). After some shopping we went out for a great Indian food dinner, then back to Denmark for the night. Regarding the pictures - I do rotate them before adding them in, but somehow the blog doesn't seem to register that. Sorry, you will just have to twist your neck!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

16th April 2012

I like your pictures of kangaroos.
16th April 2012

Worth the neck twisting!
Hi Carole, I'm so glad you're having such a fabulous time! Aren't those wind farms spectacular? We drove through a massive one in Nevada but unfortunately didn't have time to tour through it (12,000km's in 21 days + we didn't see any opportunity for exploring it). How wonderful that they were able to amass such an extensive whaling museum. Great that it's now history! Thank you so much for your beautiful pictures (love the spectacular ocean views, the bridge, and of course, I'm always drawn especially to the animals - just want to reach out and touch them, ha!). Spring has been gorgeous here in the Yukon so far with sun-filled days and average temp's around 9. The snow is nicely disappearing gradually with the moderate temp's so hopefully no flooding for anyone. My solarium is gloriously toasty so any meals, reading, etc. are done out there until the deck is completely dry (Anton just shovelled it off on the weekend). Of course #'s were lower in church yesterday but lovely service nonetheless. W&P has been moved to April 23rd as Deb had an allergic reaction resulting in a visit to ER re extreme facial swelling last week - all is well. It was due to OTC herbal "Swiss HRT" which surprised me as that was a lifesaver for me. She obviously has an allergy to one of the ingredients. I had "fun" when watering the gorgeous white asiatic lilly centrepiece that Faye brought Easter Sunday. I had my finger (I thought!) stuck in the bottom of the container to feel the water level - thought it strange that I wasn't feeling anything when water started streaming ALL over the altar. What a mess. Thankfully it was after service, ha! By the time I was done everything had to be stripped and the altar cloth left to dry over a front pew. The up-side was that the pedestle holding the service book & Bible that obviously hadn't been dusted in eons is now dust-free :). Sharon & Dave head out to AB this Wednesday; Lorraine comes home Friday; Jim & Dorothy still looking well though Jim still understandably still a little grey but very happy to "still be on this side". Saw your Jim, who's looking great, at spaghetti supper Friday evening. I didn't get a chance to exchange more than greetings in the lineup but Anton helped serve beside him for awhile so they had chance to chat. I was surprised that Stan didn't give #'s from the supper yesterday morning but there was the usual steady stream of people so hopefully raised lots of $ for Braeburn. Food great as always though took my own red pepper flakes for a bit of zest. Asked Stan why we don't have opportunity to make sauce anymore but he thinks sauce is all pre-fab now re food reg's though not sure why rest of food is OK made from home. Usual wonderful selection of salads & desserts. Think that's all for the local news for now. Glad you got to enjoy East Indian meal! Can't wait to hear and see more of your Aussie explorations. You look gorgeously sun-kissed and so relaxed - soak up every special moment! Hugs & Prayers, Kim & Anton (PS: Hope I'm not boring you or taking up too much time?!)
19th April 2012

Wow! The windmills are stunning. What beautiful places you have picked to visit.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb