Hi, we're now back at Albany


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Albany
March 17th 2010
Published: March 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hi all
From the Stirling Ranges we drove north. Our first stop was at a Lily Dutch Windmill - a 16th century replica, with sail length 24.6 metres. Lunch was at Lake Grace, and we passed quite a few salt lakes and grain silos, as we entered the Wheat Belt. There were also lots of roadtrains transporting grain to Albany for shipping. It got hotter, the further north we went. We stayed at Wave Rock Caravan Park which was great, so we could walk to Wave Rock at sunset and again early in the morning. We walked all over the rock, which was much bigger than we expected. It had small walls 2' high above it to direct rainwater into the reservoir. In the morning we walked again to Wave Rock and on to the Hippo's Yawn, an unusually shaped granite tor.
Next we headed west, and had our next night all by ourselves at a lovely free park at Gorge Rock, another big granite rock, that also had a reservoir. We continued on west to Corrigin, saw the big dog, then on to Brookton. From there we started to head south again and had a night at a free park that again was nice and quiet, with one other van. On Sunday we drove south on the Great Southern Highway, a tourist route, and stopped at Wagin. There we looked through the Historical Village - more old tractors and machinery and rebuilt buildings! We had our lunch at a park beside the Giant Ram. There was some drizzle on our afternoon drive down to Borden, to the freepark there. The area certainly needed the rain as it is very dry.
On Monday we headed back to the Sterling Range Retreat, dropped off the van there, and drove the tourist scenic drive around and through the Stirling Range National Park. The cloud was low on some of the peaks. We arranged a late checkout for Tuesday, so we were up early, to do our walk up Bluff Knoll. We drove to the carpark at the base of the mountain, and climbed the 656 metres , up a very steep track with high steps and loose shingle. It is the tallest peak at 1095 metres in the southern part of WA and regarded as one of the 25 best walks in Australia. It was a cool morning, and the track, a grade 4 , was quite hard, but we made it (with some rests along the way). In the afternoon we drove back down to the coast at Albany for 2 nights. The camping ground here put on an Irish night dinner with Irish Stew and lemon delicious pudding last night, which was appreciated as we were tired!
Today we had lots of sorting out to do - Telstra, Etolls, trying to reinstate our automatic payments, Chris had a visit to the doctor, we both had haircuts, washing , etc etc.
Tomorrow we head east, probably to Bremer Bay and will gradually work our way to Esperance and finish "doing" the south coast of WA.
Cheers
Lynne and Chris


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Hyden near Wave RockHyden near Wave Rock
Hyden near Wave Rock

Junk art - this one is Johnny the mechanic - note the gearbox Rick!!
Dog in the ute CorriginDog in the ute Corrigin
Dog in the ute Corrigin

This town has a record for number of dogs in a ute!
sign at Amelup.sign at Amelup.
sign at Amelup.

we didn't see any!
sunsetsunset
sunset

a group of us sat and watched the sunset at Sterling Range Retreat.


17th March 2010

Melbourne
Hi Guys, Just to let you know I will be in Melbourne with Andy 23,24,25th April if you were around there. Not sure of your plans. I thought I might hire a car and do the Great Ocean Road with Andy.
18th March 2010

Enjoy G O R with Andy.
Hi Tony Have a great time, it's well worth doing. We won't be that far over east at that time we don't think, plan to be in Adelaide early to mid May. Cheers Chris and Lynne
18th March 2010

Hi there!
Good to see you made it to Wave rock, Corrigin and Hyden. You have clocked up a few more km!! Had a brilliant camp weather stunning and all went well. ERO 3rd May! Happy travellin'!! Lots of love XX
18th March 2010

great pics
G,day to you both......wow love reading about your capers.......the pics of wave rock n surrounds were great....you both will be so fit. We are both doing O.k. Bap is still working on a farm......mainly Mr fix it..........it stops his boredom.!! We are going back to our old area the Goulburn Valley (Waaia) this week end to a tractor pull championship....is a good place to catch up with others. Then down to the daughters at Camperdown for a few days...well keep tracking and enjoy........x x regards Mardi n Bap
18th March 2010

We are heading to Europe
Linds and I have today sorted out a trip to Europe for our long service leave. Details: Leave Auckland 30/5. Have a stop over in Singapore and on to Istanbul (Turkey). Will get to Galipoli while we are there. Will then fly to Italy Rome) then head for 3/4 days in Pienza (Tuscany), then on to Venice (Rail) , then down to Croatia by ferry. Stay at variuos venues for 5 days. Then fly to Vienna (Austria) Cruise the danube and stay in various towns. Catch train to Switzerland (Luzern) then up into the alps for a few days , then back to Zurich and we then fly home once again with a stop over in Sinmgapore and arrive back in Auckland 1/7. Wow !!! We are both pretty excited about it now that we have paid for most of it. This will mean of course that we will not be catching up with you as we originally thought. Great to read about your travels - Isnt the cliff that looks like a wave just amazing. Will correspond again soon. I suppose you heard that Ruby Isabella was born on 3/3. Lovely wee girl. Sarah says she is just great but I expect that as she starts to grow, she might become a wee more demanding. Cheers, harv (and Linds)

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb