Hi from Albany, WA


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Albany
March 4th 2010
Published: March 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi
Since leaving Pemberton we drove a short distance south and had a night at another historic mill town, Northcliffe, with karri and redgum forests surrounding it. From there we drove to the coast, and explored the pretty beaches , including Windy Harbour, and lookouts. Salmon Beach was a favourite. There were kangaroos around our campsite in the trees. It was 32 degrees, but had been 24 at the coast. Next day we headed east to Walpole, and got the last campspot at Coalmine Beach. From there we drove to the Valley of the Giants and did the Tree Top Walk among the tingle trees. We drove a 4WD track to Circular Pool on our way back to the van. There are lots of 4WD tracks in this area, through forest and out to the beaches.
The next day we headed east to Denmark, where we had booked for the long Labour Weekend at a small riverside camping ground. It was lovely and quiet and we ended up staying there to Tuesday. There were lots of lovely walks around Denmark, especially beside the river. One day we took the tourist route inland and called at vineyards, a cheese factory and other tourist stops. We also visited the local beaches, but it was quite windy. Greens Pools was the most popular place with the locals for swimming. We explored more beaches and lookouts, including Torbay Head, the most southerly point of WA. There were 2 big wooden platforms at the lookout, where hang gliders launch from.
On Tuesday we drove east again to Albany, spending 2 nights at Middleton Beach. Today we moved into Albany , as the other camping ground is booked out. The Ulysses AGM and muster Australia wide is taking place here this weekend and next week. There are motorbikes everywhere, most are staying in tents at a big sports ground not too far from here, but some have their vans. We plan to stay here for another couple of days. Yesterday we drove out the southern pensular to the old whaling station and museum. It was very good, it was the last one to operate in Australia, and only closed in Nov 1978. On the way back we did several lookouts and walks and saw The Gap and the Natural Bridge, two natural features carved from ancient granite by nature.
Our van ticked over 25,000kms this week.
Regards Lynne


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Windy HarbourWindy Harbour
Windy Harbour

Note weed on the beach here
Treetop walkTreetop walk
Treetop walk

Valley of the Giants
Denmark Ocean BeachDenmark Ocean Beach
Denmark Ocean Beach

note sandbar has closed opening to harbour
Greens PoolGreens Pool
Greens Pool

popular with the locals for the long weekend
Lowlands BeachLowlands Beach
Lowlands Beach

We watched a big school of salmon here in the bay from the lookout.
Torbay HeadTorbay Head
Torbay Head

most southerly point of WA
Denmark River walkDenmark River walk
Denmark River walk

we walked this each morning
Natural BridgeNatural Bridge
Natural Bridge

Torndirrup National Park
The GapThe Gap
The Gap

drops 25metres straight down - granite rock
Cheynes lVCheynes lV
Cheynes lV

The last whaling boat operating in Australia
Bibbulmun track signBibbulmun track sign
Bibbulmun track sign

This walking track weaves it's way from Perth to Albany - we have walked a few short bits of it.


5th March 2010

This is like being there all over again. We enjoyed Betty's Bay, just out of Albany, steep drive down, but great once there.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb