Heard it on the grapevine... [UPDATED]


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Albany
September 18th 2008
Published: September 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone. Uploaded a few pictures for your viewing pleasure. Hope you're all well.

Mat & Lisa xxx


Howdy folks! We know you've all been waiting desperately for an update so here goes.......

Last we spoke we told you that we were off to do some seasonal work down south. Well, we ended up going to a little place called Frankland for a month, which is about 500km south of Perth. Frankland is covered with Olive groves, tree farms, vineyards and rolling telly tubby hills (we're not joking - it's the only way everyone could describe them!) We worked on a 4 year old vineyard, pruning grapevines, which apparently produce top quality grapes. If anyone would like to hire us for pruning work or advice, we charge a competitive $100 per hour!

Pruning was pretty tough going. We have both ended up with limited movement in our hands and pretty swollen fingers. Ten hours of pruning a day, with bugger all to do in the evening, combined with a splash of Irish folk and mixed with isolation in an accommodation block with nothing for miles around, is a recipe for...well, getting hammered at the weekend. Bloody Irish, always looking for a pot of gold.

There was a crew of around 40 living in the 'dongers'. It was the height of contemporary architecture and luxurious modern living. At least we had our own room and hot showers, although the fact that there were Red Back spiders hiding under every chair, put a slight downer on the ambience. We did had a TV though, so we were able to watch most of the Olympics, and admire the sportsmanship of female beach volleyball! Mat now has a new female obsession - Stephanie Rice (grrr).

Most weekends were spent making the 3-4 hour round trip to the closest supermarket to source further cookies and beverages for the nights festivities. Despite recent rumours, there is no proof that a drunken rally took place in the forest with an old Nissan Skyline, and said vehicle did not A) hit a tree or B) get rolled onto its side!

It's pretty cold down south at the minute. Lisa took to wearing six layers and a thermal vest, before heading out to scrape ice from the cars. Fortunately for all involved though, it was not so cold that Mat had to tuck his t-shirt into his pants.

After reading a long list of items we had to have before we could start work, we abruptly discovered that several key items were missing from said list. We arrived to find that bedding, pillows and rubber boots might come in handy!

Our first day got off to a nice start, as a family of Kangaroos hopped slowly past us at sunrise. Speaking of which, Kangaroo meat sure is tasty. Lisa makes a mean Roo meatball!

There was a pretty big mix of people in the dongers, which came in handy when everyone pitched in and cooked a dish for an international culinary extravaganza in honour of someone's birthday! Yum yum!

Well, we're finally back in civilisation and lapping up the benefits: Footpaths, humus, and people! We're staying in a converted Fire Station in Fremantle. Unfortunately for Lisa all the hunky firemen have left and the fireman's pole is off limits. (insert generic innuendo here). Fremantle is a pretty cool port town. We've already been to the abandoned prison, but unfortunately, they couldn't accommodate Mat. We're currently shopping around for a gas guzzling 4x4 in the hope that we can mow down a few more of those pesky (yet delicious) Kangaroos!


Well, we hope this message finds you all safe and well. Keep those messages coming. It's great to hear from you all. We will add some photos when we find a computer with a decent internet connection!

Congratulations to Martin and Claire, glad to hear that you are getting married in Oz to help us save on air flights! Good on ya!

Much love, Mat and Lisa
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb