Whistle Stop of the South West


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Albany
October 22nd 2006
Published: November 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Oceans MeetOceans MeetOceans Meet

Cape Leeuwin, the south west tip of Oz
20/10/06 - 22/10/06 We flew around the South West corner of Oz in a 3 day tour; Perth - Albany - Denmark - Pemberton - Margaret River - Busselton - Perth.

Traveling from Perth our first stop was at Fox River Winery - Hurrah!! We slurped (literally) the Pinot Noir, Shiraz and Chenin Blanc, sucking in the oaky flavours. After a lot of swallowing and not much spitting we followed the highway through the Porongurups and climbed Castle Rock. The hike was well worth the effort for the rewarding views, after clambering across boulders and up a steep metal ladder to the crow’s nest viewpoint. Our Guide Rick gave amazingly detailed information on the local flora, learned from Aboriginal guides. Red/orange is a warning, beware! Anything with leaves coming off the stalk at 90 degrees and any leaves shaped like a hand, beware, potentially poisonous. Of all the flowers, 2 particularly stood out - the Southern Cross and the Half Flower, named such for obvious reasons.

Heading down to Middleton beach, we saw a huge natural bay that holds a special place for many Australians who lost relatives in the Second World War. Most Ausssies had this last view
Slurp slurpSlurp slurpSlurp slurp

Plenty of tasting bottles awaited us at the Fox River Winery
of Australia setting sail from the bay. Heading West to Frenchman’s Bay we saw the costal Phenomeona that were the ‘Gap’ and ‘Natural Bridge’. Greens Pool and Elephant Rock were also beautiful spots on the coast where turquoise water met beautiful rocks and white sand. This area of Australia broke away from Antarctica, and similar rocks are found at both locations on earth today.

The Valley of the Giants had a tree-top walk above the Giant Tingle trees, with some paths passing through the centre of the giant trunks. The Bi-centennial tree was one huge tree with a set of viewing platforms built up its trunk and amongst it’s branches. The staircase up is literally a spiral of metal rods driven into the trunk that can be climbed like a huge winding spiral staircase ladder, 75 meters to the top! Overnight we all mucked in with an Aussie Bar-B, with steaks, snaggers (sausages) and beer.

Driving further west, we hit the South West corner of Oz at the Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse where the Great Southern and Indian oceans joined. We stared into the waters looking for a join but the oceans were seamlessly bonded, and stared even harder
Push PushPush PushPush Push

Jen tries to topple a boulder
into the distance for any black dot that we could claim was a whale sighting but alas none could be claimed. Close to the lighthouse was a calcified water wheel and information boards advised us that this section of Australia was once joined to India, when the super continent was Gondwana, back in the day.

A trip into Calgardup caves had us donning helmets and torches to view the stalactites, formed over squillions of years from calcium deposits. Our stop at Margaret River had been much anticipated, as our itinerary read chocolate factory. Sure enough there were free samples to be had by the handful. Not listed on our itinerary was the peacock mating. The display by the peacock was impressive, and equally impressive was his sudden jumping of the peahen and ability to perform to an audience to much clapping and cheering from the crowd!!

A brief stop at the allegedly infamous Busselton jetty (1872m long pier) - the longest in the Southern Hemisphere, was small respite from the bus and then the long journey back to Perth for an overnight stay and continuing journey North.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Elephant RockElephant Rock
Elephant Rock

Can you spot the elephant?
Turquoise waterTurquoise water
Turquoise water

Greens Pool Bay
Under the rocksUnder the rocks
Under the rocks

At the Beautiful Greens Pool
Quack QuackQuack Quack
Quack Quack

Watch out for Ducks
Hairy MothHairy Moth
Hairy Moth

In the Tingle Tingle forest
Before the big climbBefore the big climb
Before the big climb

At the base of the 75m Bicentennial tree
Putting on a showPutting on a show
Putting on a show

Mating peacocks at a chocolate factory. What more could we ask for?


13th November 2006

Cape Leeuwin
Especially interested in Cape Leeuwin, as, in tracing my family tree have found out that in 1898 my Great Grandma stayed in a place called Cape Leeuwin on her way to Bowral, Oz. Wierd coincidence!
13th November 2006

wish id been at chocolate factory with you

Tot: 0.358s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 37; qc: 165; dbt: 0.2439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb