Bye Broome, Hello Karijini


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » 80 Mile Beach
November 16th 2007
Published: November 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Photos are here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13481&l=37127&id=510918332

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13483&l=aa4e5&id=510918332

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13484&l=c0bf9&id=510918332

Perth Zoo: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13485&l=932b2&id=510918332

Barrier Reef! http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13594&l=9169c&id=510918332


Up not-so-bright and early for the start of the next part of the tour! Couldn't believe how many people were joining us - 21 in total felt like a lot after our little group of 13. Paddy was our next tour guide taking over from Ian - seemed like the most laidback guy after Ian the taskmaster! The bus felt like a downgrade compared to Ian as it was smaller, but I was lucky as I got to stretch out on the back seat for the morning.

Spent quite a bit of the day travelling south - 500km in total - but stopped at 80 Mile Beach which was spotless and deserted. Could well believe it did stretch on for 80 miles! (Not sure why they call it that when everything is in kilometres, ah well.) Got to Indee Cattle Station which was to be our campsite for the night. Got chatting to the new people during dinner round the campfire, and we were treated to a little fire display from Paddy - and Michael had a go too! He had definitely done it before! There was quite a long walk to the showers and I had a shower by torchlight - very interesting experience! The tent wasn't too hot unlike the past few nights - don't think anywhere will ever be that hot ever in my life!

Up at crack of dawn (who's Dawn?) needing the loo and knowing that it was a good 10 minute walk to get there! (Too much information I know but these things are important camp moments!!) Spent the morning driving to Karijini National Park which is made up of the Hammersley Ranges. 'Karijini' means 'circle of rocks' and Paddy told us how important the area is for mining iron. We reaching Hammersley Gorge in the afternoon which was a short walk down to the water's edge. We swam the length of the gorge which was a good 400m I think! The rocks were strangely shaped - layers and layers of rock in different shades of red, and curvy lines where the water rises and falls with the changes in season.

Lay out in the sunshine to dry off before climbing back up the gorge to head to our camp (needed another dip in the pool after the climb) - where someone had kindly put our tents up for us! We were at a permanent campsite for the next three nights - nice to stay somewhere for longer than a night! They had a decent shower too - although I looked up to find myself sharing it with a big old spider! In the old days I wouldn't have been able to been in such close proximity - must be getting used to them!

In the morning we went straight to nearby Joffre Gorge which looked really nice in the early morning sunshine. A bit of a walk down to the pool at the bottom which had a pile of rubble in the middle, where the rock had crumbled - we were joking that a crane had lowered it there on purpose... Bit of a shock getting in the water at 8am as it was so cold! Nice refreshing swim though.

Back up the hill and walk to camp. Hot already! The heat makes you so lethargic even early in the morning. Set off in bus to a nearby gorge (can't recall the name as we've been to so many!). Down the track and to the right was a lovely quiet waterfall - don't think I will ever get tired of the noise of a waterfall. Walked back and to the left along the full length of the gorge, where we sat down taking in the sights while Paddy told us about a tobacco plant that he'd found that the locals smoked to slow down their heartrates and therefore being able to walk for longer. Carol and I set off back along the track earlier than the others as we were itching to get in the first pool! Why does the sun always go in when you jump in the water though?

Just enough time to dry off and head back up the track to the bus. On to Hancock Gorge, which was one of the most challenging hikes as the track was steep and the red slate was slippery under your feet. The route wasn't exactly a marked track either! We had to go down a long ladder and at times we were inching our way across the edge of the layers of rock, hanging on for dear life! Steffi's bag actually fell in the water while she was taking a picture - rather the bag than her I guess. At the end of the route was the Spider Walk - thankfully not full of spiders as the name suggests (although there were a few). It's the point were two rocks almost touch so to get past you inch your way along with an arm and a leg on each side. Paddy took a funny video of me looking like a pro rock climber (not), which even includes me authentically swatting away a few flies with my spare hand!

After that ordeal I joined the others in the reward at the end - Kermit's Pool (cue lots of Miss Piggy jokes!) After some clowning around courtesy of Paddy we went back along Spider Walk - which was ten times easier on the way back, no idea why! Just knew where to put my feet. Chell and I fell a bit behind the others after this (probably from taking photos) and ended up losing the track which was a little bit scary. One of us would edge around a rock and realise it didn't lead anywhere, then the other would try a different route and find the same! Eventually got back to the ladder and knew the only way was up - but couldn't find the proper path, just really loose slate. Paddy came to rescue us eventually but was quite tired by then! (I guess you could call it 'Hancock's Horrific Half Hour'...)

Final place for the day was Weano Gorge (well I thought the name was amusing anyway) which seemed fairly easy compared to Hancock. Recovered from our 'getting lost' ordeal by the time we reached the end of the walk, where you had to edge down a waterfall holding on to a handrail - giving Handrail Pool its name - then lean backwards doing a little mini abseil with a rope! After some time in the water we went back to our campsite where we had a BBQ - steak and sangers, mmm - and had a giggle with the group before heading to bed. Busy day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb