Barwon Bliss


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
November 27th 2015
Published: November 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Recognise this? Probably not; really!Recognise this? Probably not; really!Recognise this? Probably not; really!

If we told you it is "Diver Dan's Boathouse" would you know what we were talking about? It's one of the locations for the ABC TV series "Seachange".
This news is more than a month old already, so let’s get us all up to date.

Haven't heard of Barwon Heads? How about "Pearl Bay"? Pearl Bay is the fictitious location for the ABC TV series "SeaChange". It is a lovely little seaside holiday destination not far from Geelong. While recovering from Peter's oral surgery (tooth removal), we spent our time here bike riding, geocaching and "threatening" to go fishing! The weather was stunning the day we arrived, but after that it was just ordinary. We also explored the Bellarine Peninsular and ventured as far west as the famous Bells Beach.

On departure from Barwon Heads we headed back to the farm.... near Horsham just for a couple of days. Lockie and Tracey's friends were having a clearing sale on their property the day after we arrived so it was an interesting morning watching all of that. Fortunately, this sale was for happy reasons. The owners have sold the farm and relocating for semi retirement in Darwin. So many clearing sales are due to the farmers being forced off their properties because of the debts they incur under horrid drought cycles.

Next stop was Gawler SA to
The famous Bells BeachThe famous Bells BeachThe famous Bells Beach

The surfing culture dominates everything in this region.
finalise arrangements for a relief management gig at the caravan park. Being only 20 minutes from the “grandies” meant visiting them for violin "concerts" and going to swimming lessons with them. My, how they are growing! Meeting our newest family member, Bethany, was a delight. Gawler didn't want us to start for another 2 weeks so we decided to go to explore the Yorke Peninsular. We visited Ardrossan, Port Vincent, Marion Bay, the Innes National Park, and Point Turton. The fishing and crabbing from the jetties and beaches is quite productive (at times), so at Point Turton, Peter rigged up 2 fishing rods, one with a newly purchased Squid jag! All reports around the caravan park and along the jetty were that nothing much was being caught, so, the rods were packed away again! Oh well, at least they saw the light of day and the gear was sorted and tidied up.

We had received news that Georgina's grandmother had passed away and we offered to go back to Adelaide to stay with the kids to allow Georgie to fly back for the funeral. For the first time, we parked our van in their driveway. Were they excited???? We
The old flour mill at PortarlingtonThe old flour mill at PortarlingtonThe old flour mill at Portarlington

If not for geocaching we would not have found this wonderfully restored building. Unfortunately it wasn't open the day we were there.
stayed there 3 nights and took them to violin and cello lessons, and to a great adventure playground. We wanted to wear them out during the day so we could get them to bed early each night. We were exhausted, but very pleased with how we managed.

It was still not time to start work at Gawler yet so we wanted to get away for a bit of R & R. We had been told of a freedom camp at a place curiously called "Worlds End" so we went searching. It was a great spot with a bushwalk up to Burra Creek Gorge. There was no phone reception so it wasn't until our journey back to Gawler (via Barossa Valley Farmers Market, of course) that we found out that the Managers at Gawler had been trying to contact us. Plans had to be changed, as they didn't want us yet. They offered us a free site due to the inconvenience. We already had organised to see the kids on Sunday so we kept going.

We got 2 days’ work and then a mutual decision was made that we would call it quits for now and maybe February might
Point Lonsdale LighthousePoint Lonsdale LighthousePoint Lonsdale Lighthouse

Endless photo opportunities, geocaching and beachcombing
be a better option. A few days later we had done our Christmas shopping for the Adelaide branch of the family, and we said our goodbyes.

We were lucky enough to organise a rendezvous with friends who were travelling back from Western Australia. We spent 2 nights with them at 2 different locations. They were able to introduce us to Dennis the butcher at Jamestown who has some of the best meat in the country, and has the best sense of humour. He had the 4 of us laughing and joking with him the whole time we were there.

As we finalise this edition of the blog, we are enroute back to the Central Coast to prepare for our Christmas trip to Lismore. We’re hoping to catch up with friends and family before heading back to Werribee South for our mid-January assignment.

More photos below.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

ArdrossanArdrossan
Ardrossan

Crabbing, fishing, wheat farming and mining. We're heading down the Eastern side of the Yorke Peninsular. The Gulf of St Vincent is brimming with seafood, but there's not much around at the moment (of course).
The bonus side effects of geocachingThe bonus side effects of geocaching
The bonus side effects of geocaching

This family of seals was sunning itself at the end of the breakwall at Port Vincent while we were "treasure -hunting" there.
The perfect place for theseThe perfect place for these
The perfect place for these

Wattle Point Wind farm is home to 55 of these giant turbines. The southern part of the Yorke Peninsular near Edithburgh is renowned for the windy weather.
This is NOT someone's gardenThis is NOT someone's garden
This is NOT someone's garden

We stayed for a night at Yorketown Caravan Park. We hadn't seen so much green grass for a long time....and a thunderstorm dropped quite a bit of rain during the evening.
Inneston is a preserved/restored village in the Innes National Park.Inneston is a preserved/restored village in the Innes National Park.
Inneston is a preserved/restored village in the Innes National Park.

200 gypsum miners eked a living in this harsh environment from 1913 to 1930. Some of the cottages are now available as holiday accommodation.
Beautiful scenery, lighthouses and historyBeautiful scenery, lighthouses and history
Beautiful scenery, lighthouses and history

Innes National Park has a lot to offer
Our unusual picnic spot. Our unusual picnic spot.
Our unusual picnic spot.

Our final stop in Innes National Park. This little "Shepherd's Hut" is available for rent, too.
Wildlife, lighthouse and... you guessed it...Wildlife, lighthouse and... you guessed it...
Wildlife, lighthouse and... you guessed it...

geocaching fun! This is Corny Point Lighthouse, built in 1882 from local limestone.
On a truly stunning day we found this beachOn a truly stunning day we found this beach
On a truly stunning day we found this beach

We didn't find the geocache but we did enjoy the walk along the beach, regardless! The fly nets are an absolute blessing and very necessary.
Point Turton jettyPoint Turton jetty
Point Turton jetty

This is the place where we almost went fishing!!! We're on the western side of the Yorke Peninsular, now so we're looking at The Spencer Gulf.
Salt lakes at sunset.Salt lakes at sunset.
Salt lakes at sunset.

St Kilda, near Adelaide offers a low-cost overnight stopover at the boat ramp, salt lakes which look pretty during the day but magnificent at sunset.
Sunset at St KildaSunset at St Kilda
Sunset at St Kilda

RVs are allowed to stay at the boat ramp overnight for a small fee.
A VERY old "house tree"A VERY old "house tree"
A VERY old "house tree"

These trees grow in such a way that a large hollow develops at ground level, making a great sheltered living environment.
The breakfast cook at work.The breakfast cook at work.
The breakfast cook at work.

Our van is called "Finding Neverland" and here we are at World's End - a great little freedom camp south of Burra.
Burra Creek GorgeBurra Creek Gorge
Burra Creek Gorge

The walk along the rough bush track from our camp spot was well worth the effort.
Happy GrandmaHappy Grandma
Happy Grandma

Happy Gabrielle, Esther and Jared
Tiring workTiring work
Tiring work

Spending time with the grandies is exhausting!
Music, music, musicMusic, music, music
Music, music, music

Tim is learning viola, Tilly and Jared (and Esther) are learning violin, and Gabby is a cello student. Both the big girls are very clever on the piano.


27th November 2015

Such adventures!
Great to catch up on your travels. We hope to catch you when you next have time on the CC. Lots of love, Gerri
30th November 2015

Merry Christmas
Hi Peter and Wendy Great to see you living the dream Love the updates iof your adventures Graham

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb