Australia - Day 4 - Corinella


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
July 25th 2006
Published: August 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

MORNING PLANTING
Today, we walked about 10 minutes from the caravan park to a little spot in front of an empty house. It was a charming looking white house, surrounded by huge, cool-ass palm trees and a huge, Lord-or-the-Rings looking tree. There was also a big, empty, dirt field in front of it and running alongside the road. It was pretty shitty looking, especially since the rest of the road was lined with beautiful native plants, so our job was to revegetate it. A lot of the ground was pretty hard, so it took a bit of effort to dig some holes deep enough for the plants, but it wasn't anything to bitch about or anything. We worked all morning, and got a shitload of plants down. On the other side of the street, there is a thick grove of plants, and then a rocky beachside cliff. There were a few paths that led to the cliff, so our job was to plant some hedgewaddles (tiny, prickly plants that grow into huge, prickly bushes) where the paths are, so as to discourage little kids and the elderly from getting too close to the edge and accidentally killing themselves. Haha, totally kidding; no one cares about the elderly.

I HATE MULCH
We basically planted trees all day, along the road leading to the first area, and in a few other random spots. It was a pretty uneventful day; however, we did get our first taste of mulch moving, which we would have to do many, many more times during the trip. Basically, there is a huge pile of much, about up to my chest and 6 or 7 feet or more in diameter, and it was our job to shovel it into wheelbarrels and move it to an area where we were planting, to discourage weeds and other grasses from growing through. That shit sucks, man; those piles of mulch seem to never end. Today, we had two piles to move; the work was way harder today than yesterday, but it felt really good afterwards, especially since I haven't done anything active before this since I can't even remember. I could already feel my feeble little muscles getting sore.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb