Work!!!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
June 20th 2009
Published: June 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So the bus was a 6 hour journey, through wee towns, and through another time zone!!! Victoria is our penultimate state on this tour (I forgot we're going to Canberra which is in Australian Capital Territory funnily enough as its the capital), and its half an hour time difference from Norther Territory and South Oz, so we're back to a 9 hour difference.

The hostel we're staying at is a working hostel, so everyone is working in it. When we asked the owner about work, he said he'd expect us to start working picking oranges next week, so we had a week to laze about before starting work.

We arrived at tea time, so dumped our bags and headed to the nearest pub. We found a rather nice Working Mans Club and all settled down to a schooner and a BLT kinda thing.

It's quite a nice wee town, Mildura, quite a few shops and that for things to do, but very quiet. We wasted time by going to do a big food shop! It sounds boring, but its so good to get a lot of food in, because you can't do that whilst your continually moving about because you'd have to carry it everywhere. So my food week is now planned out.

So as we were sitting down to another night of Masterchef Australia (its rather good I must say), we got offered work, and started the next day, as quick as that.

There's a group of 8 of us and we're working on a farm, taking the covers off rows of grapes. Its quite easy work, but very painful on your hands, as you've got to take out hundreds of nails. Each row is 200 metres long so it takes a good 40 minutes to do one, and you work in pairs. The pays not the best, but the more covers you do, the more money you earn. I think we've got this work for 2-3 weeks then after that we're orange picking.

Its just a relief to get work though. So this will be us settled for about 5-6 weeks now. After that, I've got it all planned out. We're gonna head to Melbourne to see Neighbours, the Great Ocean Road, and an Aussie Rules game. After that we're gonna go to Canberra and take in an NRL game, before heading back to Sydney and New Zealand.

So I doubt I'll put up many more blogs while I'm here, because it won't be that exciting.

So now your all uploaded, you can rest in peace.

Chow for now

X

Advertisement



2nd July 2009

hey rossy, still reading away at your blogs, sent you an email to your hotmail not sure if you got it yet. hope work is okay miss you x x

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb