Two Stops .......... Nyah


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
September 1st 2019
Published: September 5th 2019
Edit Blog Post

I think Nyah Rec Reserve, 28kms north west of Swan Hill, has to be our favourite freedom camp; it was the first freedom camp we experienced so it has a kind of sentimental attachment. These days the township has nothing more than a service station which doubles as the general store & newsagency. The recreation park caters for football, netball and cricket and it is this sporting link that cements the strong community spirit. A few years ago, after the town lost its right to horse trotting to the much bigger Swan Hill, the locals realised they needed to do something to encourage people to stop a while in their town. For a donation of $5 per night caravaners can set up by the River around the football oval or near the cricket nets. There is potable water available, as well as a dump point, and it is very well maintained. On Thursdays when the sporting teams are training they invite you into the clubrooms where you can buy dinner for $7 and share a drink with the locals.







Not long after we pulled in the wind dramatically increased in strength as it moaned and roared through the tops of the towering gum trees. We were in a “clear” area but it was a relief when the wind died back and the trees stopped swaying. We woke to see the trees beyond the levee bank wrapped in a light blanket of fog giving them a ghostly appearance.







Time, then, to continue on.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb