Wilsons Prom - What a gem!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Wilsons Promontory
October 28th 2006
Published: October 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Another great weekend trip that was worth recording.

Wilson’s Prom is almost on Melbourne's doorstep and in just a short time we were able to enjoy a variety of spectacular scenery, from rolling green hills and unspoiled beaches to rich grazing land and lush rainforest.

We left Melbourne after work and within 3.5 hours we were already having a glass of wine that followed to a very nice dinner(Darren you have really impressed us!)at our Cottage near the National Park with Shane & Anthony, Darren, Jim, Emma I and Emma II.

On Saturday morning we went on a bushwalk, a steady climb up to Windy Saddle and then downhill through a beautiful ferny forest, to a boardwalk over Sealers Swamp to arrive at our final destination the breathtaking Sealers Cove. What a paradise! The 10.2km (3hrs) hike there was definitely worth the effort. After devouring our packed sandwiches and spending some time strolling and relaxing on that magnificent beach we started the long walk back. That night we were treated to some more fantastic tucker, great company and a lot of laughs. Needless to say we all slept like babies that night

Sunday morning we were spoiled with a big english brekkie made by Emma & Darren and then off to Tidal River for another hike. Since we were all a bit knackered and had sore legs from the mammoth walk the day before we decided that a 2hr walk would be more then enough so we headed towards Pillar Point. The track lead us to an outcrop of granite boulders with breathtaking views overlooking Norman & Squeaky Beach plus some of the Prom's offshore islands.

It was just a short weekend away from Melbourne but highly recommended. Apart from the wonderful scenery we were fortunate to experience a bit of the Australian wilderness. During the hike and drive we managed to see a brown snake, heaps of roos, wallabies, an emu, some wombats and some beautiful native parrots. Nathan reckons he saw a Tasmanian Tiger but on closer inspection it was just a deer.

All we know is that we'll be back there.... there's still so much more to explore!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb