Undera Speedway


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Shepparton
December 27th 2010
Published: December 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Trip to Undera


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Undera Speedway 15 secs
2: Heat 7 - Fricke 25 secs
3: Junior Final 48 secs

Undera Speedway - Victoria Solo Championships



Those of a non speedway disposition please look away now.

My mate Howard Williams the track announcer at Undera speedway kindly transported me up to Undera speedway (near Shepparton), some 150 km from Melbourne for an evening's methanol fix.

We travelled up via Nagambie (stopped off for a fish supper at a Greek chipper!!) and Murchison (Murchy has a town of his own in Oz I never realised that).

The entertainment on offer was :

Victoria Junior Solo Championship, the field included Declyn Adams (yup Leigh's son) who was ok but rode well within himself, Lindsay Phillips, Cooper Rirodan, Jack Halls, Jack Fallon and last but no means least Max Fricke.

These guys are all potential speedway stars of the future in my opinion. The junior solos were on bikes that have a speedway frame but the engine is neither Jawa or GM but a 250cc Japanese engine of some description. Although that said I believe Adams senior is trying to tout around a new Chinese engine for this level.

The names above put on a really good show (there were other competitors but they weren't as good as those named above) with the final (which I've got a video clip of) finishing:

1. Max Fricke
2. Jack Fallon
3. Cooper Riordan
4. Lindsay Phillips

Wee Fricke who features in all three video clips. The first features his second heat (initial staging was re-run but can't get video clip on blog as it is too big). OK in that one he wasn't against any notable opposition but it'll give you a good idea of his style on a bike (Fricke in red helmet cover).

Last racing clip is the final (Fricke red, Riordan blue, Fallon white, Phillips yellow). These were the best guys on show and Fricke shows them a clean pair of heals.

Anyhoo enjoy those clips.

The Victoria (senior) Solo Championship featured some names that you'll (bruv, Chopper, dad) know :

Jake Anderson - who rode the best I've ever seen him
Justin Sedgemen - unlucky - unbeaten throughout the meeting until he fell under pressure from Proctor in the final
Ty Proctor - the eventual winner slightly by default but that's life
Cory Gathercole - started slow blowing a few cobwebs (by his own admission) eventually finishing second to Proctor after a ding dong battle in the final.
Dakota North - who had trouble staying on the bike usually at the third turn.
Robert Branford - who put in a decent performance

I'll spare a mention for Joey Ringwood, a new name to me but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the UK if he's interested.

All that and throw some mad sidecars into the mix and 48 heats later I'd be entertained for Aus$20 plus Aus$2 a programme.

Chopper/Dad - do you think Edinburgh Monarchs would be interested in Fricke?

Advertisement



28th December 2010

sounds like you're having fun in the sunsheeine! was there much shareen at the speedway?
28th December 2010

Blog
Just like Alan Whicker - although not sure he ever went to the speedway.
29th December 2010

Lovely to catch up
Was great to catch up and glad you enjoyed the day. Undera is a little hidden gem, I wish it was closer to the big smoke and it was easier to attract bigger crowds but I always enjoy my visits there. Hope the rest of the trip goes well and the highlights keep coming thick and fast.
2nd January 2011

Unfortunately not.
2nd January 2011

Thanks again Howard. Thoroughly enjoyed Undera and our chats. I'll be posting updates on here on a regular basis so feel free to keep track.
2nd January 2011

I'm probably going to be the colour of Judith Chalmers.

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.088s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb