Great Ocean Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Port Campbell
December 3rd 2008
Published: December 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello boys and girls! Sorry it's been a while! Have been making tracks since Melbourne!!

We left Melbourne on Monday and stayed at Geelong for the night...u may recognise that place as they were in the AFL final...we saw the AFL final in Margaret River...its a massive event over here in Oz. Good times. Geelong was a nice place, felt more 'normal' than some other sketchy places that we have stayed in! The Wicked was a really fun part of our trip! A headturner and great to drive! Wasnt boring, we did 1200km in total. In Geelong we stayed near the beach...trying to rack my brain!! That's right my previous blog came from the seedy gamers place! It's all coming back now!! (quite dan! says my memory is shot). Ah yes how can i forget that night, we found a slightly lit parking area relatively near to the beach and then in the middle of the night there was a truck pulled up with its engine on...it was only freakin middle of the night road works!!! dan leaned across me half asleep yanked back the curtain and said "NOW THAT IS THE MEANING OF LIVID" i had a look out
Our routeOur routeOur route

Melbourne to Adelaide, we did 1200km in 5 days
and it just made me creese up! Of all the parking spots...we pick 'em. So yeh the next day we stocked up for the rest of the journey...soup and noodles! its all good! Tuesday (Wicked camper day 2) we headed along the great ocean road, passed through some nice holiday destinations which i would deffo consider going back to to spend longer there...Lorne stands out. It was a stop start journey on day 2 as we covered most of the GOR (Great Ocean Road...im being lazy) lots of lovely scenery..reminded me of highway 1 down the west coast of the states although lovely beach scenery and a very sunny day. we travelled along some very precarious roads and we did the highest point of the GOR and that is where we set up camp for the night aswell at Port Campbell. A very nice town...we parked up on the beach and had chicken soup by sunset! haha! bliss! The next morning we had planned to sneek out early and jump under the beach showers...bloody freezing and to our delight a coach was passing just as we plucked up the courage to get under the blimin thing! ah well! so on we headed...we came to the end of the GOR pretty soon and then we were travelling through the beach, did quite a stretch on day 3 and stayed the night in Robe.....a very nice town where everyone knows each other and just a nice place to be. Parked up under some pine trees, woke up the next morning only to find they'd shut the bloody road off! the were holding their annual market at the weekend (luckily!) that wud have been fun being in the middle of the market, just sauntering out of bed to the toilet block and howdy pals!!! yeh all the cars from the previous night had dissappeared and left our camper on its lonesome, just a tad out of place!! Day 4 was a proper driving through the middle of nowhere journey...we saw lots of different signs which is the strangest thing...instead of deers we had signs for koalas, wombats and of course roos. We were driving through the bush, dan was driving and i must have been on wildlife patrol, that day i spotted an echidna and OUR 1st KANGEROO!! yay!! i looked across and said hey dan is that a deer or something (just so a pair of ears sticking out the grass!) and then it raised it's head and i shouted "Kangeroo! Kangeroo!! yay we've finally seen one!!!" After 2 months in australia, outback included u'd think we would have seen tonnes!? but no 1st one was in the wicked! However since being in Adelaide we have seen millions of wild roos!!!! We sadly returned the Wicked on day 5....sad times. We loved the rickerty van, unfortunately i forgot to bring my lead out wiv us today so no photos....will try and get em loaded in Auckland.

So thats the news from GOR, i wud do it again tomorrow if i could, a great experience!

Advertisement



3rd December 2008

What - no photos!
Loved the blog - but shame no more photos - please publish soon!!! xx
9th December 2008

Photos!
You will be very pleased to know that we have today uploaded 5 or so albums!!! :-) Enjoy! and love to see your comments!! We are hiring a van tomorrow to tour south island of new zealand. chilling out oding blog and chatting to Jayn over a couple of bottles of wine :-) I made lasagne for dinner, lush xxxx

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb