Day 17


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Mornington Peninsula
February 23rd 2011
Published: February 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Bay sideThe Bay sideThe Bay side

The back of our site on Phillip Bay on the Mornington Penisula
As we packed up to head to Phillip Island, The groundsman asked where we were heading, I answered the question, explaining we were heading to Cowes on Phillip Island, (we are both keen to see the penguins). The Guy in the next van told us that Phillip Island was booked out for the motorbike race.
What is it about our luck? We struck Sturgess in the USA and now a motorcycle gathering in Australia!
How’s our form?
So a quick change of plans, we chose to head directly to the Mornington Peninsular and check out the penguins at another time.
We are proud of ourselves now, as the travel stress is lower with the van brakes working correctly, and we travel at a comfortable pace with not to many hassles, except when the driver doesn’t take heed of the navigator in time and we miss a rest spot, but hey we get to another soon enough.
It really is great to be able to pull over any where or time, to make a cuppa and take time out.
We arrived at the web site address of the “park” we chose off the net, to find it was not a caravan park. We retraced our steps to find a site on the “Foreshore camping ground” This appears to be a camp spot along the foreshore of Phillip Bay run by the council.
We pulled in at the rangers station to find him missing in action, so we called the number listed, put on hold for a period of time, (of course it is a council) and eventually we managed to book a site.
What a fun drama, we found the site, and the driver is reasonably experienced in handling vehicles and reversing with long loads etc, BUT took one look at the site and said “No way! Can this rig fit into there, nor can I get it there anyway!”
So a reverse angle of the rig back downhill and around a slight bend in the road, we found the ranger had arrived, so we waited until he got off the phone, (again of course no rush from his end) we explained the challenge, we suggested just a refund and we would find elsewhere, but no, he was very helpful and moved us to a bigger and better site and more accessible.
So we set up and took a quick drive around to find the ferry terminal and look at the shops, Ocean beach, (certainly a wild beach from our point of view) as well as the National Park at the end of the Peninsular..
Back home for relax and dinner.
Oh boy a group of young guys have moved in two sites across with loud music and lots of beer, could be a long night!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb