Frankston to Charleville


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Mornington Peninsula » Sorrento
July 18th 2008
Published: November 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The AccommodationThe AccommodationThe Accommodation

Van and car on site
A story always starts somewhere, and for us, it was the 17th July 2008 and the day before departure. We worked all day to set up the car and van. Around four thirty it was time to hitch up the van. Went to start the car and .............nothing! What do we do now? We rang BMW and within half an hour a fellow was there from Mornington. We had a flat battery. He had the car going in no time and so we went for a drive to charge it up hoping against hope that it wouldn't fail the next day. It was fine. We later realized the car doors had been left open most of the day with the key in the ignition. Dumbo!

Shepparton



The drive to Shepparton was pleasant enough. The narrow bumpy lanes on the Monash Freeway were a bit annoying but we got over that. The caravan park was fine just out of town. We were thinking of staying next to the beautiful lake but at the moment it doesn't really exist. The drought is wreaking havoc everywhere.

We have a number of relatives in 'Shep' and so we took the opportunity to
Our OrchidOur OrchidOur Orchid

Our own flower that travelled with us to Charleville
catch up with those who were around. It had been some time since we had seen them and so Shep was a family time.

It was also our first rains as well! Much of our time there was wet but we were feeling pretty good and so it didn't matter. We had a really pleasant lunch just out of town. After that we went to the restaurant owner's cheese factory and had some tastings . We didn't realise until then that Camembert and Brie are one and the same and the only difference is the age. Hence the different taste strengths of Brie.

Griffith



We really enjoyed Griffith. Planning to stay just two days, we decided to book another two. Then disaster struck. Whilst riding our bikes to the local lake along the newly built bike track, we came across a car parked lengthwise on the track. As we went around it we noticed a woman collecting watercress below in a canal. We were on a bridge with middle posts at either end. Without realising it was there, and continuing to watch the events in the canal, Rhonda slammed into the
Broken WristBroken WristBroken Wrist

Rhonda out of action
post. As you know now, the result was a commpressed fracture of her left wrist.

Not knowing the extent of the damage at that stage, she climbed back on the bike and rode 3-4klm back to the hospital we passed on the way out. They were great and checked her out thoroughly. Unfortumately there wasn't an orthopaedic surgeon in Griffith so we had to go to Wagga . After much frustration and three trips we were on our way again.

The hermit's caves on a hilltop ovelooking the town is well worth a visit. As is the Old Vine Winery where tastings are held with cheese and bickies and their home made salami. Very nice! We also visited the Fruit Salad Farm and did some shopping. Oh, and we also saw Mumma Mia at the movies.


Cobar



The worst day of travel you can imagine followed by the best laid out caravan park. The rain and wind were very distracting and annoying. We had a head wind all the way and chewed up the juice like we couldn't have
CobarCobarCobar

Town entry sign
imagined. We needed a refill on the way.

Each site on the park had a concrete slab each for the van and the annexe, a crushed rock bay for the car and about five metres of green lawn between sites. An oasis in the dry outback! Except for the bloody rain when we were there!

We only stayed for one night. The town was a small mining town with a couple of interesting sites as you can see by the photos.

Cunnamulla



We were planning to stay in Bourke but having arrived at 11.30am and finding it a nothing town, we decided to push on to Cunnamulla. Again, a one night stay. We didn't have time to look around much but we found a neat little town and the Cunnamulla Fella .

The complete opposite of Cobar, we had a drive through site for the night that was so narrow you could not put up the awning and with a real stretch, you could almost reach the van on either side. We really did have safety in numbers!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

CobarCobar
Cobar

Historical Home
Cunnamulla FellaCunnamulla Fella
Cunnamulla Fella

Folk hero from a poem


Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb